Is a separate modem router better

jim1174

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I currently have a Motorola arris modem router combo with no antenna. i have been having issues with the wifi speed. if i had a separate modem and router with antenna would that make my wifi any better ?

Solution
It has antenna they are just built into the case. Although you would have to really dig for details there is not a huge difference in wifi converge between devices. Most devices transmit very close to the legal allowed maximum. Devices can only have 30db of transmission power. You could have a 20db radio and a 10db antenna or you can have a 24db radio and a 6db antenna. Either way you get the same power output....ignoring illegal aftermarket antennas.

The router is only 1/2 your problem the end devices generally do not put out the maximum power because they run on batteries and/or they have very tiny antenna to be portable.

Most times you use a separate modem/router for software features. Most combo devices are pretty...
There should be no difference at all.
The quality of your wifi connection depends on your house layout (walls, etc.), disturbances (highly populated wlan networks, etc.) and the quality of the router+clients themselves, regardless if the router has built-in modem or not.

It has antenna they are just built into the case. Although you would have to really dig for details there is not a huge difference in wifi converge between devices. Most devices transmit very close to the legal allowed maximum. Devices can only have 30db of transmission power. You could have a 20db radio and a 10db antenna or you can have a 24db radio and a 6db antenna. Either way you get the same power output....ignoring illegal aftermarket antennas.

The router is only 1/2 your problem the end devices generally do not put out the maximum power because they run on batteries and/or they have very tiny antenna to be portable.

Most times you use a separate modem/router for software features. Most combo devices are pretty simplistic so if you wanted say VPN or NAS support you would use different devices.

In most cases poor wifi coverage is best solved by a second wifi source. You could run a ethernet cable to the area that is getting poor coverage and put a AP in or you can use powerline instead of the ethernet and still put a AP in the remote location. The wifi would then be stronger since the AP is closer.

Solution