Question Is a server gpu necessary for my internet cafe?

Apr 1, 2019
I currently have an internet cafe with 60 pc however, i feel like the server is struggling because when gaming the pc lags even though the Cpu usage barely goes above 50% anf the ram at 60%

The specs are as follows
Intel Core i5 6400
Windows 7 64 bit
2tb hdd
256gb ssd
48gb ddr4 ram
500w enlight bronze psu

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Internet cafe setup does not equal internet cafe setup.
I guess we need more background info here, as to what you use the server for and how the network and gaming stations are set up.
And if you are using your server for gaming: Don't!

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
If I understand correctly, you do not really have a server, but a Win7 machine, which runs the management software for the other clients (money, time used, etc.), is that right?
And no dedicated graphics card, except for what is on the CPU.

Apr 1, 2019
If I understand correctly, you do not really have a server, but a Win7 machine, which runs the management software for the other clients (money, time used, etc.), is that right?
And no dedicated graphics card, except for what is on the CPU.

Actually we have seperate for the billings, the server runs the client os and games. The client pc has no hdd so they are all diskless and their data is in the server

Apr 1, 2019
What kind of windows 7 is that? If not Ultimate/Enterprise/Professional will the 48 gb of ram not be supported which maybe causes problems. Might want to upgrade to W10.
Its the Ultimate version and yes the 48gb is usable. When running games on the client pc everything just lags, freezes and such, however the ping and the fps is normal

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
You need a dedicated server system for your terminal solution. 64 GB RAM minimum I'd recommend and a proper windows server operating system with terminal server role. And never use the same machine you use as server for gaming also. Use a terminal machine yourself for that.
But I would honestly not run gaming machines as thin clients ever, but with dedicated hardware for each and every one of them. Autonomous machines. While for regular tasks, browsing and stuff a terminal is enough, for hardcore gaming you will quickly get to your limits. Especially when half or more of the thin clients are actually running something.

Reactions: Eki5566