Is a single 12V rail SMPS or Multi 12VRail SMPS better for Zotac GTX 560 Non-Ti 1GB GDDR5 256Bit Graphic Card ?

senseijtitus

Honorable
Hi there.

This is the second doubt regarding the SMPS I am asking after enrolling into this Community.

I have a GTX 560 (Non-Ti) GC as described on the title of this thread. I want to know if it is better to go with a single rail SMPS or would a Multi rail SMPS be better for my Card and PC. I would also like to know How much Maximum Amps should there be in the 12V rail to maintain my PC along with a decent headroom for OCing in the future.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD FX6300 (Not Overclocked) with Stock Cooler.
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-78LMT- USB 3
Graphic Card: Zotac GTX560(Non-Ti) 1GB GDDR5 256Bit.(Not Overclocked)
RAM: ADATA 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ.(May add another 4GB later on.)
Primary HDD: 1TB Western Digital.
Secondary HDD: 1TB Segate Barracuda.
Optical Drive: SONY DVD RW.
USB PORTS: 8(2-USB3, 6-USB2)
Cabinet: I will be most probably upgrading to Antec GX900 or Circle CC830 Cabinet.
Cabinet Coolers: 6 (120MM)

Solution
^ As he said, it doesn't matter whether the psu has single rail or multi-rail. Just get a good 500W PSU. A Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520 will do.

And note that the Amperes on multiple rails don't add up.

senseijtitus

Honorable
I was thinking of buying Antec VP550P which has 2 12V rails with a combined 60A generated in them. But since you are suggesting single rail design, I am a little confused. Because isn't single rail design little risky?( I had read in some reviews that single rails SMPS may not have OCP feature in them. )

senseijtitus

Honorable
Sorry to ask again. I just want to clear all my doubts before going for the purchase.

I thought the Power Output for each rail would be split between the components which would be using the connectors from each rail. If I understand correctly, GXT 560 needs only 18Amps at max. The rest would be consumed by other components using that rail. Am I wrong about this?

mx_mp210

Honorable
May 25, 2013
The system and card combined will take maximum 300W power , so nVidia suggests 450W power supply, if you are planning to upgrade GPU in future get a decent one with higher power. It doesn't matter where power comes from as long as it is sufficient and regulated as in 12v,5v and 3v lanes. The Watts rating will ensure that it can output maximum Current (in the case of 450W/12v = 37.5A) required by system.

But, as said, you need to have at least one rail that you can run the graphics card from -[strike] with 42A[/strike]

I just checked - with a gtx 560 you need 24A

yeskay

Distinguished

With regard to this card, it doesn't matter whether you use a single or multiple rail PSU. All you need is a good 500W PSU.

Here are the actual facts:

- Single vs Multiple Rail PSUs by 3DGAMEMAN
- Single Rail vs Multi Rail PC Power Supplies as Fast As Possible by Techquickie