Question Is a Super Flower Leadex V Gold PRO 1000W as good as a Super Flower Leadex III Gold?

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
This is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfHsGL

I’m planning on getting a 6800XT since I had to return my defective 6950XT, so that’ll reduce the wattage a bit.

My PSU is making coil whine noises which aren’t bad but are annoying. Since the Leadex III is out of stock, Super Flower said they’d send me this PSU instead. Is this PSU good? The Cultists Network PSU tier list puts it in a speculative position of Tier A, so I imagine it’s new enough that there’s not much information about it yet. The Leadex III is high priority Tier A though which seems better.

Additionally, that tier list says this: Leadex V series OCP set to 100.8% of nominal capacity, i.e lacking the headroom for transients when most high-end PSUs have it set in the range of 120-140%. So for example a 1kW version of it more like 750-850W in comparison with competition.

It seems kind of concerning if it’s only technically 750W. I don’t think that’s enough for a 6950XT and maybe not enough for a 6800XT. Is this okay though? I’m probably just not understanding what this tier list is saying.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Both the Super Flower Leadex V Gold PRO 1000W and the Super Flower Leadex III Gold are high-quality power supplies that are known for their reliability and performance. However, there are some differences between the two models that may make one more suitable than the other for certain users.
The Super Flower Leadex V Gold PRO 1000W is a newer model that offers several improvements over the previous generation Leadex III Gold. It is more efficient, has a higher power output, and features a fully modular design, which allows for easier cable management. It also has a quieter fan and comes with a 10-year warranty, compared to the 7-year warranty on the Leadex III Gold.
That being said, the Leadex III Gold is still a great power supply and has received many positive reviews from customers and reviewers alike. It has a solid build quality, stable voltage regulation, and low ripple and noise levels.

The Leadex V Gold definitely sounds like the better option then! I would prefer a quieter fan, better efficiency, and higher power output. What does that OCP part mean? Cultists Network mentioned that, so does that mean this wattage is actually only 750W?

bignastyid

Titan
Both units have the same gold efficiency(If it was more efficient then it would have a higher rating like Platinum or Titanium. ) and both are fully modular. The only part of the comparison the bot got right was the V Pro is the newer model.

OCP is Over Current Protection. The point at which a PSU will shutdown.

More info is Aris's review of that unit.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-flower-leadex-v-platinum-pro-1000w-power-supply-review/3

It will be a fine replacement for your 850w unit.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Both units have the same gold efficiency(If it was more efficient then it would have a higher rating like Platinum or Titanium. ) and both are fully modular. The only part of the comparison the bot got right was the V Pro is the newer model.

OCP is Over Current Protection. The point at which a PSU will shutdown.

More info is Aris's review of that unit.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-flower-leadex-v-platinum-pro-1000w-power-supply-review/3

It will be a fine replacement for your 850w unit.

Being fully modular is definitely really helpful, and Gold efficiency is definitely great for me. I thought that guy was a bot, but I didn’t want to say anything in case he wasn’t a bot.

oh okay, does that OCP thing mean that it’ll actually shut down at 750W-850W? Or am I misinterpreting that? I probably am lol. Also, does that review apply to the Gold version as well? That review definitely makes me excited to get this improvement at pretty much an $80 discount. It’s good that it’ll be a great replace my then.

bignastyid

Titan
oh okay, does that OCP thing mean that it’ll actually shut down at 750W-850W? Or am I misinterpreting that? I probably am lol. Also, does that review apply to the Gold version as well? That review definitely makes me excited to get this improvement at pretty much an $80 discount. It’s good that it’ll be a great replace my then.
No, it means it will shut down at ~100.8% load on the 12v rail.
So the 12v rail on that PSU is rated for 999.6w
999.6 x100.8%= 1007.5w
So OCP will kick in and shut down if the 12v rail gets a load of 1007.5w or greater.

Sorry should have doubled checked the review. Odd thing is, looking again, I can seem to find one for the gold pro version. Think the cultist just may have just assumed the gold and platinum versions have the same OCP setting, if memory serves they don't do any testing of their own.

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
No, it means it will shut down at ~100.8% load on the 12v rail.
So the 12v rail on that PSU is rated for 999.6w
999.6 x100.8%= 1007.5w
So OCP will kick in and shut down if the 12v rail gets a load of 1007.5w or greater.

Sorry should have doubled checked the review. Odd thing is, looking again, I can seem to find one for the gold pro version. Think the cultist just may have just assumed the gold and platinum versions have the same OCP setting, if memory serves they don't do any testing of their own.

oh okay I see. I guess that’s saying that high-end 750-850W PSUs can handle won’t shut down at about that same wattage. I’m not concerned about that; I can’t imagine it’d ever be close to 999.6W.

max for the review, that’s defintle weird. I can’t find anything either or Amazon reviews. There are 50 Newegg reviews though, most of which seem positive. And that makes sense, so the OCP is actually different between the Gold and Plat.

I heard that I might need a special PSU bracket on the outside of the case which I screw into the PSU and the case since this PSU is 130 mm and is smaller than my original 160 mm PSU. Is this true for a Fractal Meshify 2 Compact?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS