Question Is a triple monitor setup really worth it for programming?

Gurjeet_1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
Hey guys, I'm a junior software engineer and I do front end development(html, css and JavaScript) + python, kotlin and c++. I'm not good at all but I do know some of the above mentioned languages.

I have a laptop which is decent with 15.6 inch Tn panel screen that's very glossy and washed out colours (Amd Ryzen 2200u and 8gb ram), should I make a triple monitor setup?

I have 2 monitors already ( 1 new Benq 1080p ips matte monitor HDMI + display port + VGA + DVI, and a 1440x900 old monitor that's also ips and matte from Samsung VGA output).

Should I buy a third cause my laptop screen is kinda small and the Colors are washed out?

Lutfij

Titan
That would depend on you actually, if you prefer to allocate a screen for each app and also heavily multitask. I have a dual monitor setup and one of them, to my left, is in a horizontal orientation due to my need to read articles and such.

I'd say, if your GPU and {SU can handle the extra desktop space(not to mention the table top), then sure go for it!

Reactions: Gurjeet_1
Its personal preference pretty much. Statistically I'm pretty sure most studies have shown that more than 2 monitors improve productivity and 3 monitors doesn't improve productivity more than 2 does.

So if you want it go for it. I kinda like having a nice wall of monitors in front of me, but it doesn't make me more productive than 2 monitors would.

Gurjeet_1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
Is been a while but I remember, code screen#1, debug screen#2, output screen#3. So yes I want it.

Hey thanks for your suggestion bro, I really liked your answer TBH. But as I said, I'll power them through my laptop. Is my laptop screen good enough as 3rd screen for debugging? It's 15.6 inch glossy screen and the colors are washed out? When I use my laptop with other screens, it seems way smaller and hard to read. So will it cut it for debugging? Cause I'll have to ask my parents for money for the 3rd monitor? Cheers.