[SOLVED] Is a-xmp overclocking?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
I bought 2 corsair lpx ddr4 3600mhz 8gb. When i installed them they ran at 2133mhz, then, since i couldnt find the "enable xmp" in the bios (i got a amd board, so a-xmp), i disabled and enabled back the a-xmp profile and then, for some reason, they started working at 3600mhz. My question is, is it dangerous to overclock (if selecting a a-xmp profile means overclocking) these rams at 3600mhz? or it would be better to overclock them only at 3000mhz? And why sell a 3600mhz ram if to make it run at that frequency we have to overclock it?

Solution
The ryzen 5 3600 limits ram speed to 3200mhz,
the motherboard probably has capacity to use 4000mhz memory
you bought 3600mhz memory.

If you enable xmp,
the motherboard will then use the ram at its maximum capacity of 3600mhz and also adjust the CPU BCLK automatically to use it at the overclocked speed.

Edit: manual overclocking RAM can cause big issues, but let the motherboard do its thing with XMP and youll be fine.

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
I bought 2 corsair lpx ddr4 3600mhz 8gb. When i installed them they ran at 2133mhz, then, since i couldnt find the "enable xmp" in the bios (i got a amd board, so a-xmp), i disabled and enabled back the a-xmp profile and then, for some reason, they started working at 3600mhz. My question is, is it dangerous to overclock (if selecting a a-xmp profile overclocking) these rams at 3600mhz? or it would be better to overclock them only at 3000mhz? And why sell a 3600mhz ram if to make it run at that frequency we have to overclock it?
Running your RAM at the factory specified speeds (3600 in this case) is not dangerous to RAM afaik, depending on your cpu you may actually run into an issue where running your RAM at a high enough speed will cost performance (sounds counter intuitive but it's true), 3600 seems to be fine on newer Ryzen CPUs and won't cause any bottlenecking.
I'm not sure about the reason as to why memory runs at such slow speeds to begin with but I think it's to ensure the system will run stabley on the first startup. You're only really "overclocking" your RAM once you move past it's factory speed, but your system will rarely benefit from high RAM clock speeds.

So the simple answer is it's fine to run your RAM at factory speeds, and while I think it could technically class as overclocking it's not what you'd think of in the traditional sense.

My question is, is it dangerous to overclock (if selecting a a-xmp profile means overclocking) these rams at 3600mhz?
or it would be better to overclock them only at 3000mhz?
It is not dangerous. The ram is rated for 3600mhz. So it is safe to run it at that speed.
Technically this is overclocking. Kindda..

And why sell a 3600mhz ram if to make it run at that frequency we have to overclock it?
What a weird question. :) It is meant for overclocking.
Why did you buy 3600mhz ram, if you didn't want to overclock?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
Running your RAM at the factory specified speeds (3600 in this case) is not dangerous to RAM afaik, depending on your cpu you may actually run into an issue where running your RAM at a high enough speed will cost performance (sounds counter intuitive but it's true), 3600 seems to be fine on newer Ryzen CPUs and won't cause any bottlenecking.
I'm not sure about the reason as to why memory runs at such slow speeds to begin with but I think it's to ensure the system will run stabley on the first startup. You're only really "overclocking" your RAM once you move past it's factory speed, but your system will rarely benefit from high RAM clock speeds.

So the simple answer is it's fine to run your RAM at factory speeds, and while I think it could technically class as overclocking it's not what you'd think of in the traditional sense.

Does a 3600mhz frequency with a ryzen 5 3600 works well?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
It is not dangerous. The ram is rated for 3600mhz. So it is safe to run it at that speed.
Technically this is overclocking. Kindda..

What a weird question. :) It is meant for overclocking.
Why did you buy 3600mhz ram, if you didn't want to overclock?

I just wanted a fast ram, i bought it because it was the same price as a 3200mhz and a 3000mhz ram 🤷‍♂️ but i read on here that overclocking rams can be dangerous and not worth it, thats why im asking

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012

If you enable xmp,
the motherboard will then use the ram at its maximum capacity of 3600mhz and also adjust the CPU BCLK automatically to use it at the overclocked speed.

Edit: manual overclocking RAM can cause big issues, but let the motherboard do its thing with XMP and youll be fine.

Solution

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015

If you enable xmp,

If the ram has a higher frequency than the cpu, does the system still benefit a little from it? Or should i underclock it to 3200mhz?