Question Is Acer Nitro 5 i5 8 Generation worth to buy in 2019?

rd_05

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I have a budget of 40,000INR and I wanted to buy a sturdy laptop which can last for 4 - 5 years and even more since I am not into gaming much. All I do is some MS office work, very little gaming(witcher, dark souls), video editing (entry level), Photoshop. I want to buy a gaming one so that the cooling is perfect because that's the part where laptops suffer these days and the processor becomes weaker over time.

Acer Nitro (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07W6H2YCV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8LPODbVG02SBC) seems to be the fair option with amazon sale going in india right now. I could get it for 40000k approx with discounts. I am not a fan of AMD so I am not into Asus TUF series.

All I can see is its i5 8 gen, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB ddr4 upgradable to 32, GTX 1050 4gb ddr5 vram, FHD IPS display.

What I want to find out is, can I add an SSD to it? If yes how much?

There is a similar version of 1050 ti and 256 SSD available for 4000 INR more. Is it worth to buy it rather than adding SSD later?

Any fair competition to Asus TUF series with AMD?: ASUS TUF FX505DY-BQ002T 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (AMD Ryzen 5-3550H/8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10/Radeon RX 560X 4GB Graphics/2.20 Kg), Black https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MSK34LL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sRPODb333PE11

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can add an SSD to that laptop and it can be as big as you can afford. A 1TB SSD would be more than enough for most people and if you need more than that then I'd suggest an external drive to supplement whatever you end up installing IN the unit. If you can afford a 2TB SSD, then it will support it. Beyond 2TB solid state drives become too expensive for most people to justify.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
9th gen would be better.

Acer Nitro-5 AN515-52 -> i5-8300H, 8 GB RAM, 4 GB GTX 1050 and 1 TB HDD
Acer Nitro-5 AN515-54 - > i5-9300H, 8 GB RAM, 3 GB GTX 1050 and 1 TB HDD

I would advise to get the 2019 model cause it's newer and considerably lighter.

Replacing the original HDD with a 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo will be a good idea.

The default HDD can be converted into an external drive using a 2.5 inch casing.

If willing to spend more then get the GTX 1650 model of either of these laptops. They come with a built-in SSD and a more powerful GPU.

There is practically zero difference in CPU performance between the mobile versions of the 8th and 9th gen Intel processors, while likely commanding at least a moderate premium in price for the 9th gen. Not worth it IMO.

Reactions: rd_05

rd_05

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
There is practically zero difference in CPU performance between the mobile versions of the 8th and 9th gen Intel processors, while likely commanding at least a moderate premium in price for the 9th gen. Not worth it IMO.
I didn't get you. Are you saying both are not worth it?

No, I'm saying that realistically, if there is a significant difference in price between a laptop equipped with a 9th gen CPU of the same number of cores and threads, cache and clock frequency, and one that is 8th gen, then it is not really worth it to consider the 9th gen models because the performance difference will not be equally significant, if there even IS one. I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks more for a laptop with a 9th gen Intel i5 than I would for one with an 8th gen, unless there are OTHER compelling features about the laptop that make it worth it such as more RAM, better graphics, SSD instead of HDD, PCI NVME SSD instead of SATA SSD, etc.