Is Adata Reliable?

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Hello,

I am getting my system an SSD and recently a SSD went on sale. I have never had any Adata storage system but this one is really cheap.

The SSD in question is Adata SP600, 128GB.

I didn't find many reviews and the ones that I read aren't really in-depth, so... Is Adata reliable and are their SSDs decent?

I plan on upgrading to 850s later, but I can't afford them right now.

Anandtech has a review of the SP610 - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8180/adata-sp610-ssd-256gb-512gb-review - not sure how different it is to the SP600, though.

I've never used their stuff, as it's not found around here. I know that Anandtech said the SP920 is a rebadged Crucial M550 (but this is not the case on the SP610). If you're looking for a good budget drive, have you considered a Crucial MX100?

Relly Rale

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Itll be worth it to choose a brand name for SSD I made the mistake in picking up a 120g Silicon Power SSD for $50 and the performance was very unstable, fast some days slow some days. I picked up a Samsung 840 EVO for my boot and ran a clean install on it and all the issues I had completely gone... now the silicon power is my cache drive for my Adobe CC for video editing.

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012

Not available around my country. The only budget SSDs around are the Adata I mentioned, Kingstom SV300S37A and PNY SSD7SC120GOPT.

If I save up plus half the price of one of these I can grab an OCZ Vertex 460

Edit: I actually found an used Crucial MX100 for sale, it is cheaper than any of the above. He says he used it for a month and replaced with a bigger drive. How sketchy could that be?

The ADATA SP600 is an older model with a JMicron 66X controller. It was not a popular model. ADATA has newer SP900 Series models. If cost is important, then I recommend an entry level SATA 3, 6GB/s ssd like the brand new Crucial BX100. Technical reviews were favorable and the cost is quite reasonable.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the SATA 3 section and look for the Crucial BX100 or any other ssd you are interested in. Follow the links to the technical reviews.

BTW - Newegg, a popular online retailer in the USA, has the 250GB BX100 listed in today's daily deals section. The sale price is $99.99 USD:

http://www.newegg.com/DailyDeal.aspx?Page=5

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
i had an Adata SX900 that kept giving me BSOD in Win7 on a past computer. i got it replaced under warranty. i flashed new firmware on it, and i have to say it's been great ever since. i used to hate their stuff due to that BSOD issue and the long RMA process, but in hindsight i had the same problems using another SSD on the same machine, so maybe it was the motherboard's fault. both drives were perfectly fine in a new machine recently, Adata with new firmware and the other drive with original firmware (which i updated a week ago).

i used to hate them as much as i hated my Norinco 1911. i'm now quite ok with Adata and admittedly would buy again if the price is good. still hate all Norinco 1911s, though!

Jodie cav

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
last year i was in a situation where I ended up unexpectedly needing an additional computer to be permanently installed in an office off campus from where I do most of my work. Just 6 months prior to becoming aware of this necessity I purchased a new laptop video editing workstation, and decided to fully upgrade my home studio desktop at the same time. When i realized the need for a permanent offsite pc I wanted to kick myself because as i am an independent contractor the cost was my responsibility and I couldn't afford to buy a third top of the line PC, so i was forced to build a budget desktop.

since my software needs require the use of an SSD and most of the brands in the budget price range seemed equally unknown to me, i ended up choosing the same Adata SP600 128 GB SSD.

i worried that I may have been buying a lemon, but for the price i actually couldn't be happier. i use it as my OS install drive running windows 10 as well as the drive i run adobe photoshop lightroom CS6 from, which needs the SSD for speed/efficiency sake.

i have used the budget desktop very nearly as much as my video workstation, and while it may not be as fast as my other 2 video workstations , i must say that it, bundled with a 3.40 GHz AMD FX -8310 Eight-Core processor and 16 gigs of RAM, it has proven itself to be both a nearly tireless workhorse as well as being fully capable of fulfilling my offsite video editing needs.

so if you find that a budget build is the way you are needing to go you could certainly do worse than the Adata SP600.

Relly Rale

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
I have an Adata sp550 250gig ssd in my personal laptop and this is the 5th month and its still holding on strong. my latitude e6420 boots in 45 seconds on windows 7 pro and I have a second seagate 500gb sshd as my storage drive with 16gigs of ram. This old i5-2520 laptop is running smooth just like a newer model PC.