[SOLVED] Is adding heatsink to m.2 nvme worth than its warranty?

MarkTM

Honorable
Jun 9, 2017
So I just bought a 1TB m.2 nvme and it has a sticker on it saying that the warranty will be void if i remove it. Meaning i cant use any heatsink including the one that comes in the box with the actual drive. My board also has a heatsink.

Here is the pic.
View: https://imgur.com/a/4jOXX5t

Its just sad that i cant get the most out of my purchase without voiding the warranty. also if i dont use any heatsink isnt having a sticker on top of it be bad? It feels like it might melt or something.
Thanks for the answers in advance

Solution
The sticker won't melt, that's for sure. Just put the heatsink on keeping the sticker if you really feel the need for a heatsink. The stickers just cover flash cells, which actually like to run hot. The part that you want to cool, which is the controller, does not have a sticker over it.
I doubt this is the case here, but some SSDs will also use stickers to help with cooling too.
The sticker won't melt, that's for sure. Just put the heatsink on keeping the sticker if you really feel the need for a heatsink. The stickers just cover flash cells, which actually like to run hot. The part that you want to cool, which is the controller, does not have a sticker over it.
I doubt this is the case here, but some SSDs will also use stickers to help with cooling too.

Solution
You can put it right over the label. Or remove it. Doesn't really matter, the heatspreader doesn't do much and you want to cool the controller anyway. I have two SX8200s by the way, they don't run hot in general use. Also, the warranty wouldn't actually be void under US law, although it'd be a pain to fight it.

Reactions: extreme_noob
You can put it right over the heatsink. Or remove it. Doesn't really matter, the heatspreader doesn't do much and you want to cool the controller anyway. I have two SX8200s by the way, they don't run hot in general use. Also, the warranty wouldn't actually be void under US law, although it'd be a pain to fight it.
Totally agree. Unless you're writing a ton of data over a long period of time to the drive, it won't heat up enough to damage the drive, or even hinder performance.