Question Is AHCI better or RAID for gaming?

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
I've an old HDD and a new HDD with me, should I setup a RAID by using both, or should I stick with the new HDD and AHCI system only?

Because the old HDD is lying around unused and I was thinking I can setup a RAID with it if it increases performance.
PS: The old HDD is 500gb with less speed. The new one is 1TB with 7200RPM

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the only time a hard drive impacts gaming is loading times.
if you raid the drives the performance may not be all you want and you will need to safrifice half the capacity of the largest drive to run in AID-0, if its not redundant it's not RAID by definition.
I suggest you leave them as singles unless you want to setup a storage space in windows and make a JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drives) pool.
fastest drives for OS and games, slowest drives for media and backup storage.

Reactions: gamingzone
a $65 each 500 GB SSD will go a very long way, often decreasing WIndows boot times to desktop from 60-90 seconds to as low as 10- 15 seconds...or less, depending on the type of drive. (NVME or SATA) TImes spent loading games will be reduced as well, as I am often first or 2nd into a game with 32 players.... (Not that it does much good, as it waits until everyone is in before starting the game)

RAIDing (presumably RAID 0 for a hypothetical increase in read transfer speeds) them will often leave a non-bootable/non-recoverable system at the slightest glitch of either drive....

Last edited:

gamingzone

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
the only time a hard drive impacts gaming is loading times.
if you raid the drives the performance may not be all you want and you will need to safrifice half the capacity of the largest drive to run in AID-0, if its not redundant it's not RAID by definition.
I suggest you leave them as singles unless you want to setup a storage space in windows and make a JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drives) pool.
fastest drives for OS and games, slowest drives for media and backup storage.
Didn't knew about the storage sacrifice thing, got it now.

a $65 each 500 GB SSD will go a very long way, often decreasing WIndows boot times to desktop from 60-90 seconds to as low as 10- 15 seconds...or less, depending on the type of drive. (NVME or SATA) TImes spent loading games will be reduced as well, as I am often first or 2nd into a game with 32 players.... (Not that it does much good, as it waits until everyone is in before starting the game)

RAIDing (presumably RAID 0 for a hypothetical increase in read transfer speeds) them will often leave a non-bootable/non-recoverable system at the slightest glitch of either drive....
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll stick to single drive.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my PC crashes sometimes, and when it does, it doesn't boot properly. It doesn't boot up for 4 to 5 times and sometimes it boots till windows logo and again crashes causing the same loop. After like 7 to 8 reboots, it works perfectly. What can be the cause?

D

Deleted member 14196

"One thing I forgot to mention is that my PC crashes sometimes, and when it does, it doesn't boot properly. It doesn't boot up for 4 to 5 times and sometimes it boots till windows logo and again crashes causing the same loop. After like 7 to 8 reboots, it works perfectly. What can be the cause? "

you should start a new thread about the last question. you won't get as many eyes on this due to your thread title.

what you probably need is to back up all your data and do a Clean install , following those instructions. if that doesn't fix it, you have hardware issues

Last edited by a moderator: