Is AIW9700 PRO a good card?

I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not much
about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not much
> about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

Because it is a discontinued product.

Andrew

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:53:38 -0400, "I discuss"
<lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not much
>about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

Its still a good product, but you can't buy them new any more.

its still a great card.
i guess ati decided they realy didnt need a card between the 9800 and the
9600.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:53:38 -0400, "I discuss"
> <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not much
> >about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?
>
> Its still a good product, but you can't buy them new any more.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

The 9800 is the successor to the 9700 series. It is essentially the same as
the 9700 but with a refined VPU, and faster memory. The prices on the 9800
cards are dropping and you may be able to get a really good deal on a 9700
somewhere, but generally the latter cards are no longer in retail stores.

JK

"Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com> wrote in message
> its still a great card.
> i guess ati decided they realy didnt need a card between the 9800 and the
> 9600.

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com
>

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:53:38 -0400, "I discuss"
> > <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not
much
> > >about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?
> >
> > Its still a good product, but you can't buy them new any more.
> > --
> > Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

my brother bought a secondhand AIW9700pro last week
- it clocks up to 9800pro speeds and is superb - cost him £80

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not much
> about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
games correctly.

--
DaveW

"I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not much
> about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

You are WRONG!

Go check ATI.com, 9700 fully support DX9.

> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> games correctly.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not
much
> > about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

Gonzo

Say What!?!?!?

How is the 9700 not DX9 compatible?

AFAIK Anything newer than 9200 is DX9 compatible.

And that does not mean that it won't work with DX9 based games. It only
means that DX9 stuff will not be used. FYI, I am using an anciet AIW8500dv
to play Far Cry just fine...
How am I not playing it correctly? It looks absolutely beautiful even on my
old rig.

What does that tell you?

> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> games correctly.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not
much
> > about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

pass the crack pipe you have had it way to long its my turn

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> games correctly.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have seen lots of discussion about 9800 or 9600 card here, but not
much
> > about 9700, is it a good card? why no one ever talk about it?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> games correctly.

Wrong. The 9700 Pro is fully DX9 compliant. Also 256bit memory, 8 pipelines
and fast (325/600). Just updated / replaced by the 9800 series.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> And that does not mean that it won't work with DX9 based games. It only
> means that DX9 stuff will not be used. FYI, I am using an anciet
AIW8500dv
> to play Far Cry just fine...
> How am I not playing it correctly? It looks absolutely beautiful even on
my
> old rig.
>
> What does that tell you?

I wouldn't call an 8500 ancient. The full bore 8500 is directly comparable
to a Geforce4 Ti4600. It's only drawback is the lack of DX9 compliance, and
as you noted, you don't see much of a difference in most games. In terms of
speed and benchmars, it's basically identical to the 9600 Pro. Get's about
12,000 in 3DMark01 with a 3.0Ghz processor.

DaveW wrote:

> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> games correctly.

That's about a 0.01 on the troll-o-meter.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Andrew

On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:20:33 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>DaveW wrote:
>
>> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
>> games correctly.
>
>That's about a 0.01 on the troll-o-meter.

Buts its high on the irresponsible FUD meter.

Andrew wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:20:33 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>DaveW wrote:
>>
>>> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
>>> games correctly.
>>
>>That's about a 0.01 on the troll-o-meter.
>
> Buts its high on the irresponsible FUD meter.

Yep. But I think the only way that we're going to get it to stop spreading
that particular FUD is to get IRS, BATF, Homeland Security, Al Qaeda, PLO,
Mossad, or some agency of a like or similar nature to take an interest in
its wellbeing and the diminishing of same.

--

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<6Kbqc.70319$z06.9203540@attbi_s01>...
> It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> games correctly.
>
> --
> DaveW

Back at your old games again? ... remember when the R300 kicked nvidia's Ass?

>>NOT DX9 capable

very funny

"Dark Avenger" <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
> > games correctly.
> >
> > --
> > DaveW
> >

> Back at your old games again? ... remember when the R300 kicked nvidia's
Ass?

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:38:58 -0400, "Ron Shaw"
<rtshaw@comcast.net.NO_SPAM> wrote:

>>>NOT DX9 capable
>
>very funny
>

>"Dark Avenger" <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> > It is an older card that is NOT DX9 capable, and so can't play the newer
>> > games correctly.
>> >
>> > --
>> > DaveW
>> >

>> Back at your old games again? ... remember when the R300 kicked nvidia's
>Ass?

This is old stuff now, Ron. DaveW has repeated that claim many times,
but recently rethought and admitted he was wrong.

Not much point in chasing it now ;-)

patrickp