[SOLVED] Is AMD HBM2 tech dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexer

Distinguished
For the last couple of months I've been wondering, did AMD move on from HBM2 technology? It seems HBM2 was just exclusive with Vega. I haven't see any mention of it in recent tech stuff from them.

Solution
Also, the previous Radeon VII GPU wasn't a very worthy contender either. The inclusion of 4 existing HBM2 memory stacks actually made this card to be priced in a higher bracket, as compared to the Vega 64 and similar cards. So that's why AMD is not going this route, at least not this time of year.

BTW, this is a totally off topic, but since I have mentioned the the R7 GPU, I just wanted to point this as well::

Previously, it seemed like AMD really wanted to compete with NVidia's RTX 2080, but didn't have much choice apart from re-branding and releasing a cut-down variant of their current MI50 Instinct compute card. It was a desperate move from AMD, out of panic mode.

This R7 wasn't meant to be an actual...
Also, the previous Radeon VII GPU wasn't a very worthy contender either. The inclusion of 4 existing HBM2 memory stacks actually made this card to be priced in a higher bracket, as compared to the Vega 64 and similar cards. So that's why AMD is not going this route, at least not this time of year.

BTW, this is a totally off topic, but since I have mentioned the the R7 GPU, I just wanted to point this as well::

Previously, it seemed like AMD really wanted to compete with NVidia's RTX 2080, but didn't have much choice apart from re-branding and releasing a cut-down variant of their current MI50 Instinct compute card. It was a desperate move from AMD, out of panic mode.

This R7 wasn't meant to be an actual gaming card to begin with, because AMD had plans to target the compute/HPC segment as well. Because this card began life as a professional GPU intended for scientific computing and AI/ML workloads. They didn't have much choice either, so they just made some changes to the existing GCN architecture on a refined process Node though, giving us this R7 GPU.

This is also evident from the FP64 performance of this R7 GPU, which sits around 3.5 TFLOPs). Actually, AMD had a change of heart, deciding that their Radeon VII users deserved a little more FP64 performance from their new gaming flagship, making the GPU more appealing to professional users as well, while maintaining the performance advantages of their Radeon Instinct lineup.

But for gaming FP64 is irrelevant though.

Solution

Rexer

Distinguished
Thanks for replying. Bought stock in AMD recently. At 2qrtr., down 13% from last yr. at this time. Party due to split earnings between Rysen & RDNA cards. Didn't get the whole jig. But no worries.
Been hearing too many good things about AMD but no HBM2. They put a lot into HBM2 to insure it's success. When stocks is down 13% and didn't see it in their latest graphic cards, I sorta had to ask, 'HBM2 dead?'
Sorta disappointing Vega didn't compete spec wise with 1080ti but it's not such a big difference I'm gonna lose sleep over it. Course, when we're listing in the top 10 high end cards, visually, it's too close to really tell being immersed in game play.
I own a Vega 64 card. Really like this card. Clocked up pretty handily to 1680/1700 with 1010 on mem. Have an Nvidia 1070 ftw, too. Find the graphics comparable if not better.
Yeah, I heard about R7 work station graphics card too. Wasn't planning on purchasing one and also been told to stay away from it. I also heard AMD did a sudden 10% price drop on RX 5700.
No doubt about it, competing against Nvidia has to be a scary monster. I can't imagine what goes on in CEO Lisa Su's mind every time Nvidia throws a new video card on the market.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I also heard AMD did a sudden 10% price drop on RX 5700.

Yes, I think I read this somewhere. But it seems the price cut is specific for some regions/countries. Yes, there is a lot of tough competition right now in the GPU market, after Nvidia released their SUPER series of Video cards. Maybe next year when INTEL releases their XE branded discrete GPUs, things might change a bit.

How does your VEGA 64 GPU perform in games ? Have you tried undervolting as well ?

I can't imagine what goes on in CEO Lisa Su's mind every time Nvidia throws a new video card on the market.

AMD really needs to step up their Game, if they want to compete with Nvidia.

According to the roadmap, NAVI 20 is going to land next year, 2020. These might be high-end NAVI GPU offerings. Also, I think NAVI would be the last AMD GPU to be based on the GCN architecture though (refined). In 2021 we might see a completely new arch, rumored as ARCTURUS, (most probably on VLIW2, or as AMD calls it SUPER-SIMD). This is where things might change for AMD.

IMO, on a slight off topic note, I think APU/CPU is where AMD can try to put a strong mark on the market. They might have a hard time capturing the high-end dGPU market as evident from their recent trend. I could be wrong though.

Also, High-end NAVI GPUs aren't going to come out this year. So, expect only mainstream and mid-range products.

"Actually, AMD will be focusing on the mid-range market with their new 7nm power-efficient Navi architecture. In fact, even AMD's Mark Papermaster confirmed that 7nm Radeon VII will be AMD’s top-tier graphics card for the time being.".

So I don't expect high-end models to come out soon though. Also, 4 more NAVI GPU variants were leaked before on a "MacOS Mojave update" source code. These are Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10 and Navi 9.

But these are basically the names of the product variants, not codenames of four different processors. Though, we have seen references to Navi 10 and Navi 12 being two distinct GPUs on previous occasions, so this gets a bit confusing for now. Anyways, this MacOS entry is legit though. The file is named as “AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext”.

Sorry for the large Image size.....Was unable to reduce it further....

b6a2037c027f0f04a6a8bce497eb38e0cabd2b171a78d48792565ae3037fe1cf.jpg

fc7790e8d72c892659a23f0d6cb66aae54aadd043ba750c144b051b99bbbfb8b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexer

Rexer

Distinguished
The Vega 64 does pretty good in gaming. I'm certainly satisfied using it for almost 2 years. Had some minor problems using Freesync so I stop using it. Found out I don't need it. I've no tearing problems. Maybe at a later date I'll need it. As for moment, none of the games I play have problems. Very few crashes to speak of.
I also have an EVGA Nvidia 1070 ftw in the other room so I'm constantly making visual comparisons. Anyone would be happy with either one. Really not much to speak of since the biggest thing I notice was the Nvidia was slightly brighter on colors which not saying a whole lot. Both run silk smooth past 1600/1700mhz with a 144hz monitor.
Haven't updated my cards' driver for 9 months so I'm sorta pushing my good luck.
The best reason I can think of why anyone would want either card or better is for future investment when game and program companies take advantage of the high mhz muscle and multi-core processors.
In more graphic intense games like Battlefield V, it gets pretty warm after a few minutes. Made plans early on to obtain a water block but scrapped that. I notice the Vega 64 is pretty sensitive to the surrounding environment so I bought a window air conditioner instead. This was the better deal. Once I close the office door, the computer stays cool, I stay cool.
It doesn't cruise past 75c very often and settles around 59c to 68c at 70/75% fan speed most of the time. Noise is the biggest factor. For that reason alone, you either love radial fans or hate 'em. Wear a headset.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Thanks for replying. Okay, I'm glad to hear that your VEGA GPU is holding much pretty good. It's a nice card though. Have you tried undervolting as well ?

Are you having one of the blower-type VEGA GPU models, or an open air ?

Haven't updated my cards' driver for 9 months so I'm sorta pushing my good luck.

Yes, if everything is working fine, then there is not point in updating the GPU drivers....Mine is also several months old... If it an't broke, then why update ?

Rexer

Distinguished
Greetings! The last time we conversed was almost 2 years ago. I was planning to buy a 5700XT but the prices on GPUs suddenly went outta wack. I waited for a price drop too. I thirst but no water.
So I bought a Raijintek Morpheus 2 aftermarket cooler thinking that would make a difference. It was amazing. I was able to get 1740fps more on1170 mem. at 35/42c. That's just over100fps more than the stock Sapphire setting. The great thing about this is it hasn't reached it's potential.
I've been limited by the 650w output of my UPS unit. At 1800 fps, I had random blackouts only to see the desktop pop back up. The UPS was bought for a lesser power Nvidia GTX 970 gpu with a 650w psu. So the 650w UPS was fine.
The Vega64 requires a 750w PSU (I doubt that it uses that much power) and the UPS equivalent should at least be equal. My UPS was only 650w. But as I use more power to clock up the Vega64, the crashing became apparent. Battlefield 5 was pretty much unplayable till I back down the power, clocks and resolution settings. Temps throughout my crashes were less than 50c!
Yes, I can run at 1740fps but only in games with small maps with lesser graphics. It does surprising well with CoD WW2 at this setting.

OT. Btw, as a side note it would be interesting to see how these upcoming HPC, enterprise, and data center Sapphire Rapids XEON processors from INTEL are going to perform with HBM. AMD still has an upper hand in the HPC market, with higher core count CPUs.

For consumer gaming GPUs, I doubt we would be getting any HBM-enabled cards anytime soon, due to the cost and other factors. But I digress. :) The future next-gen HOPPER GPU arch from Nvidia is rumored to feature HBM/MCM design, but these are again for the server market, imo. And I doubt RDNA 3-based gaming GPUs from AMD will also support any of these high bandwidth memory chips.

Intel to Launch Next-Gen Sapphire Rapids Xeon with High Bandwidth Memory (anandtech.com)

Rexer

Distinguished
Wow. I had a major set back in August. I moved from Seattle to Montana a little over a year ago and learned 'ya gotta have all your ducks in a row' if you're living in the woods. My first no-no I did was sell my laptop thinking I wouldn't need it.

We had a forest fire come within a mile from us (August, 2021, Boulder Creek fire on Hwy 35, between Polson and Big Fork). The fire dept. and electric co. shut down the power for two weeks. Then they began work clearing away trees from the power lines. That took more time. To add another bruise to ugly, when the power came back on, my PC takes a zap. Turns out, I have no ground in the house. House was built in the 50's/60's. So getting a ground became the next plan. The builder had installed ground sockets but no hard wired.

Because the time without power was a major gap time, I began building a generator shed behind the house. It turns out Harbor Freight, Lowe's and Home Depot are 60 miles away in Kalispell. So I scrapped together an old intel i7 920 Bloomfield and got it running. I got internet, I now can order DIY home hardware.

Then began another race in time. While updating, the HDD began to choke but I managed to order an SSD and some DDR3 ram before it died, yuk, yuk. I used an early 2 dock HDD duplicator to transfer the Windows content. (It somehow got pass the copyright lock).

I even got some hardware for the shed but I wasn't able to finish the generator shed before the snow. Now I gotta wait till spring to finish it but at least I got a computer.

The biggest hit was my PSU. It took most of the brunt. A few months earlier, the UPS died. It might've have taken a jolt from having no ground but at the time, I didn't know.

During this time my cell phone provider is giving a shout out to replace that G3 phone. So I went on the hunt to get a G4/G5 phone. Well, it's nice I have a PC running. But as slow as it is, it's hardly a friend. It reminds me of the early 90's when Compaq was king.

The PSU running the Vega64 was a EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 (2016). The i7 Bloomfield has a SeaSonic G 650w gold (2013). Was powering an XFX AMD 7850 2gb. till 2014 when I replace it with a EVGA GeForce 970 4gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.