[SOLVED] Is AMD Radeon Software Drivers necessary on Linux?

Apr 7, 2021
Hello, I'm having issues downloading AMD Radeon 20.45 on Ubuntu, I do everything correctly but I always get an error message.

Errors were encountered while processing:
amdgpu-dkms
amdgpu
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I need to know is it necessary to have the drivers or can I run my PC normally without drivers
My GPU Is a RX 5700XT

Solution
AMD has open source drivers on Linux. With the exception of Arch and Gentoo which require manual installation for certain drivers , all Linux distrihutions as long as said driver is open source (such as the case with AMD) is pre-installed onto the system. Unless the GPU came out a day before, Ubuntu would already have them already installed.

If you want to be precautious and make sure hat it is actually installed onto your system, type this command in the terminal:
lsmod | grep "amdgpu"

If it shows any output, it means it is on your system.
Apr 7, 2021
Did you source your drivers for the GPU, from here? Might want to read through this reddit.
Oh, for some reason I was downloading the 20.45 driver and not the 20.50 one you sent, this time there was no errors but I'm not entirely sure if it did download or not, since there was no "INSTALLED" or "DOWNLOADED" or any type of message that can confirm the it installed successfully, this is the message I got after the end of the installation, also is there any way or any command to check and verify that the drivers are indeed installed?

https://prnt.sc/1178fgm

Jun 3, 2020
AMD has open source drivers on Linux. With the exception of Arch and Gentoo which require manual installation for certain drivers , all Linux distrihutions as long as said driver is open source (such as the case with AMD) is pre-installed onto the system. Unless the GPU came out a day before, Ubuntu would already have them already installed.

If you want to be precautious and make sure hat it is actually installed onto your system, type this command in the terminal:
lsmod | grep "amdgpu"

If it shows any output, it means it is on your system.

Solution