Question Is AMD Ryzen 7 better than Core i7, or is it the opposite?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
My current Samsung Ativ isn't good for my college class (Game Production). Core i5 with 8GB of RAM and integrated graphics isn't enough for running Unity program. I am majoring in Computer Science, and I need a powerful computer. I did my search and found some gaming laptops that were affordable. Some had a Core i7 with 16GB of RAM, along with Nvidia GeForce 1050 graphic card. But I don't think it's enough. In South Korea, where I live as a foreigner, the laptops get expensive, and some Redditors told me to build a computer. I asked about components to many people in this forum, and got some good answers. But I didn't realize that my professor demanded a high-spec CPU. She said she wanted a Core i7, but I can't afford it. I need an AMD alternative. I think Ryzen 7 would be a good choice, but I heard it is slower than Core i7. But is it okay? I heard desktop CPUs are faster than laptop ones.

My current Samsung Ativ isn't good for my college class (Game Production). Core i5 with 8GB of RAM and integrated graphics isn't enough for running Unity program. I am majoring in Computer Science, and I need a powerful computer. I did my search and found some gaming laptops that were affordable. Some had a Core i7 with 16GB of RAM, along with Nvidia GeForce 1050 graphic card. But I don't think it's enough. In South Korea, where I live as a foreigner, the laptops get expensive, and some Redditors told me to build a computer. I asked about components to many people in this forum, and got some good answers. But I didn't realize that my professor demanded a high-spec CPU. She said she wanted a Core i7, but I can't afford it. I need an AMD alternative. I think Ryzen 7 would be a good choice, but I heard it is slower than Core i7. But is it okay? I heard desktop CPUs are faster than laptop ones.
There are several I7 and R7 CPUs, which one are you looking at ? You can certainly build better desktop than most laptops but at much lower price.

Benchmark comparisons show the 9700K is a little faster when in 1080P/1440P gaming when both are given fairly stout/capable GPUs, say something at least as fast as a 2080 Super or above, and, most folks would likely be hard pressed to tell the difference between 120 fps and 130 fps, nor would the former experience ever seem 'slow'...

Both are good CPUs, truth be told, but the 9700K is more expensive, and, requires a competent cooler as well....

D

Deleted member 14196

Ryzen. Hands down Because it gives you the most flexibility in your usage. For instance if you want to do any serious computing other than games the R7 at superior For anything that requires multiple cores and threads

we use R7 2700x to power workstations that run many VMs each at work for product testing and they are more than enough

Reactions: krelidas_34