Info Is AMD working on a GPU they're calling "Nvidia Killer" ? NAVI 21 and NAVI 23 GPUs !

Hello,

RedGamingTech posted an article, though take this with a grain of salt, as of now. Though, I still think this rumor can be TRUE, since we have already seen references of this before as well.

Anyways, is AMD really working a high-end NAVI GPU, because AMD's CEO, Lisa Su, already confirmed before that the company has "execution on those [products] are on track" when asked about high-end Navi and Zen 2 mobile hardware ??

We also know that RDNA 2 is coming in a 7nm+ manufacturing process. This is the same process which is set to be used to manufacture AMD's Zen 3 Milan processors, which are due in Mid-2020. With this in mind, it looks like RDNA 2 is coming in 2020, and rumour has it that AMD is internally calling these GPUs "Nvidia Killer".

This report comes via Red Gaming Tech, who claims that AMD's Lisa Su is "frustrated" and the fact that AMD has no products that target Nvidia's highest-end SKUs. With their next-generation of RDNA products, AMD's rumoured to be positioning itself to target Nvidia's market leadership.

Red Gaming Tech claims that AMD's "Nvidia killers" come in the form of Navi 21 and Navi 23. Their report also states that the company's first Radeon Navi cards released late due to Radeon's radically redesigned core architecture.

With their "Next Gen RDNA" graphics cards, AMD plans to enter the world of hybrid RAY TRACING. This shift will bring the company's graphics cards in line with Nvidia's RTX series, at least in terms of raytracing capabilities. This move will mark a time where Radeon will hope to have its own form of Ryzen Revival, leveraging RDNA's use in both next-generation console and their gaming-focused architectural changes to gain market share within the graphics market.

Also, I think the success of AMD's next-generation RDNA parts will depend on the strength of Nvidia's response. Nvidia's RTX 20 series currently dominates the high-end, despite using 12nm lithography. With their RTX 30 series, Nvidia has the option to utilise 7nm manufacturing to enable a significant performance/efficiency leap over their current-generation components.

IMO, if AMD plans to target Nvidia's market dominance in 2020, their next-generation RDNA graphics cards will need to be able to handle anything that Nvidia can throw at them. If Red Gaming Tech's report is accurate, AMD is very confident about Radeon's future. Regardless, AMD needs to be ambitious within the GPU market, as 2020 will also mark INTEL's entry into the discrete GPU market, a move which will give AMD a new competitor.

Give this a read:

Last edited:
AMD will have to release their top end before Nvidia releases their 3080ti or it will just be AMD playing catch up as usual.

And of course their top end will actually have to compete with the 3080ti....

You would think they should have more money/resources for R&D than they have in a long time, so maybe it will happen.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
AMD will have to release their top end before Nvidia releases their 3080ti or it will just be AMD playing catch up as usual.

And of course their top end will actually have to compete with the 3080ti....

You would think they should have more money/resources for R&D than they have in a long time, so maybe it will happen.

I just hope you are correct. We really need AMD to step up their Game, if they want to compete with NV's high-end flagship offerings. Same with INTEL discrete GPUs as well.

I'm a bit skeptical though, to be honest. I don't think even next-gen NAVI is going to beat NV's offerings that easily, because NVIDIA is going to have a counter attack move by releasing the RTX 30 series of GPUs.

Also, these upcoming high-end NAVI GPUs are going to retain the use of HBM2E stacks for the MEMORY, so this could be an expensive investment, IMO. I'm not sure how AMD is going to price these new cards, because there is going to be a very tough competition.

https://semiengineering.com/hbm2e-the-e-stands-for-evolutionary/

So no takers on this leak ? Btw slight update, TweakTown has given some insight into this, and according to the author Anthony, he also had his own sources confirm the same. BIG NAVI cards are indeed coming.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67007/amd-navi-23-rumor-nvidia-killer-gpu-coming-2020/index.html

I heard from my own sources over the last few weeks that the Navi GPUs coming in 2020 are 'much more powerful' than the Navi 10 that powers Radeon RX 5700 XT. This new card would be a powerhouse compared to the Radeon RX 5700 XT, and AMD really needs it if it thinks it's going to battle NVIDIA's flagship from 2018 (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti) let alone what NVIDIA has in the pipeline with its next-gen GPU which should be Ampere.

I just hope we get RX 5800 by the end of this year and I hope it's competitive with RTX series.

Is AMD really releasing the RX 5800 ? There were only rumors before, but we have seen references of NAVI 12 GPUs in LINUX drivers. So, it might come out this year.

I am excited for the possibility of a 2080ti(or better) level of performance AMD card.

Me too, but I won't hold my breath till the high-end NAVI cards come out. This is AMD's last chance to catch up with Nvidia's high-end SKUs. INTEL on the other hand would only be targeting the Mainstream/mid-range market next year.

High-end INTEL XE GPUs, are not coming until 2021.

Is AMD really releasing the RX 5800 ? There were only rumors before, but we have seen references of NAVI 12 GPUs in LINUX drivers. So, it might come out this year.
Well, they were kind of confirmed by Lisa Su herself if you think about it considering all of this is about RDNA 2 and 7nm+ she specifically said that 7nm had a rich portfolio so she could be talking about Navi 12 or talking about the 2020 series only time will tell.

Yeah, let's hope NAVI 12 also comes out. On some other news, AMD is dropping support for their REFERENCE Model NAVI GPUs.

This time it's about their Reference GPU models. AMD only launched its Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 just over a month ago now, and now we have reports from "Cowcotland" that the new Navi-based cards have been pushed into EOL status, or end-of-life.

The news is a surprise, but it DOES make sense if you think about it. The reference cards eat up AMD manufacturing time and most likely cost them a decent amount of coin to produce, and in a few days the third-party custom Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 cards launch. AMD could just discontinue its own reference cards and allow its AIB partners to make better, faster, more efficient custom Radeon RX 5700 series graphics cards instead. Right now we can still buy the RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 from AMD, but with custom cards around the corner I would advice everyone to wait and see what happens next.

Also, who will prefer a reference GPU, when third-party custom AIBs are faster, cooler and more efficient. These reference blower-type cooler GPU models can now rest in peace, according to AMD !

https://www.cowcotland.com/news/683...rx-5700-et-rx-5700-xt-deja-en-fin-de-vie.html

Last edited:
Reactions: AngelTech
Sorry for this bump, but I just wanted to share this news..

OKAY. It looks like AMD is refreshing POLARIS cards, but for OEMs ? GURU3D posted this article.

With NAVI Radeon X 5700 cards out and wth the custom board becoming available soon, there is a bit of a gap to be filled in the mainstream domain. Polaris once again will get a respin and move into the Radeon RX 600 series.

Whether you like the news or not, Polaris has been serving AMD one of the best architectures, and it can still keep up really well in the mainstream segment, and they are not expensive to fabricate anymore.

With Polaris being a viable processor, AMD has decided to release the Radeon RX 640, 630, 625, 620 and 610. Now the cards will be targeted at OEMs, meaning they will end up in pre-fabricated PCs. The top model (the RX 640) would closely resemble the RX 550X with the main difference that the memory interface is halved from 128-bit to 64-bit. We are already curious about the performance of these GPUs in practice. Alleged portfolio.

A specific release date does not mention AMD on its website, but indicates an approximate time window in the third quarter of 2019. Polaris was first introduced on in June 2016.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...ving-its-way-into-the-rx600-series-(oem).html

Sorry for this bump, but I just wanted to share this news..

OKAY. It looks like AMD is refreshing POLARIS cards, but for OEMs ? GURU3D posted this article.

With NAVI Radeon X 5700 cards out and wth the custom board becoming available soon, there is a bit of a gap to be filled in the mainstream domain. Polaris once again will get a respin and move into the Radeon RX 600 series.

Whether you like the news or not, Polaris has been serving AMD one of the best architectures, and it can still keep up really well in the mainstream segment, and they are not expensive to fabricate anymore.

With Polaris being a viable processor, AMD has decided to release the Radeon RX 640, 630, 625, 620 and 610. Now the cards will be targeted at OEMs, meaning they will end up in pre-fabricated PCs. The top model (the RX 640) would closely resemble the RX 550X with the main difference that the memory interface is halved from 128-bit to 64-bit. We are already curious about the performance of these GPUs in practice. Alleged portfolio.

A specific release date does not mention AMD on its website, but indicates an approximate time window in the third quarter of 2019. Polaris was first introduced on in June 2016.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...ving-its-way-into-the-rx600-series-(oem).html
So I assume these won't be released but would be in stuff like DELLs HPs etc?

That's sad at least Navi is good ;)

But NAVI GPU arch still suffers from few issues though. Drivers need to get mature. Also, all their reference GPUs still run hot, and they are not that power efficient as NVIDIA, despite being fabbed on a smaller process node, 7nm..

Early users of AMD's RX 5700 series graphics cards have been worried, seeing HIGH temperatures for their GPUs while seeing AMD cooling solution target relatively low acoustic targets, at least for a blower fan cooled graphics card.

But AMD has just released a community update for its Radeon 5700 series graphics cards, confirming that high (110°C) "hotspot" temperatures for their graphics cards is "expected and within spec". Furthermore, AMD confirmes that their designs will maintain the company's intended acoustic and reliability targets. But this sounds strange to me.

https://community.amd.com/community...nced-thermal-monitoring-maximized-performance

https://www.techpowerup.com/258228/...nd-within-spec-amd-on-rx-5700-series-thermals

Reactions: tingety
But NAVI GPU arch still suffers from few issues though. Drivers need to get mature. Also, all their reference GPUs still run hot, and they are not that power efficient as NVIDIA, despite being fabbed on a smaller process node, 7nm..

Early users of AMD's RX 5700 series graphics cards have been worried, seeing HIGH temperatures for their GPUs while seeing AMD cooling solution target relatively low acoustic targets, at least for a blower fan cooled graphics card.

But AMD has just released a community update for its Radeon 5700 series graphics cards, confirming that high (110°C) "hotspot" temperatures for their graphics cards is "expected and within spec". Furthermore, AMD confirmes that their designs will maintain the company's intended acoustic and reliability targets. But this sounds strange to me.

https://community.amd.com/community...nced-thermal-monitoring-maximized-performance

https://www.techpowerup.com/258228/...nd-within-spec-amd-on-rx-5700-series-thermals
The plus is AIB cards are out soon considering the reviews or already out not too sure and what I mean is after teething period Navi will be a great card especially for the money, I am actually contemplating getting a 5700 XT (custom card ofc) in September as the performance vs the 2070 super is so minimal it's not really worth the extra unless you need premature ray tracing, I use that word as ray tracing is only really playable mostly on the RTX 2080 Ti I also realized why get a premium card like a 2080 or 2080 SUPER when I could get a good card that can play the games I want for less money.

Not good I don't have a desktop (yet) I'm getting a beast in September or early October you can read the specs here (CPU cooler and GPU undecided)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Nice RIG m8 ! Btw, since you are buying a RYZEN CPU, so get a slightly more faster MEM kit, if possible. Else, 3200 Mhz is also good. Regarding the GPU, are you buying a Blower-type reference cooler GPU model ?
Nah waiting for AIB cards either getting the red devil or pulse, and 3200MHz is enough for me I am not forking over that much money for a little performance boost most agree 3200MHz is still the sweet spot, I know the latency isn't the best but forking over a lot more money for a small performance boost seems unrealistic to me, it'll be used mostly for gaming some streaming from time to time and some minor/moderate video editing.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
While I am all for competition, I don't think AMD releasing cards that trade blows with high end NVIDIA cards will do anything for the prices, because for them to release a card that can properly trade blows they would have to also price it basically the same.

And even then, I don't think it's going to be any time soon that these cards they release will perform at the same level while having a similar low TDP as NVIDIA, so all that's really gonna happen is that you'll have alternative options, but they won't necessarily be better options.

But I guess only time will tell.