[SOLVED] Is an AMD 3950X idle temp around ~41 with Corsair H115i as AIO normal? (Side panels removed).

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
I have an AMD 3950x installed on an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero mobo - both residing inside an ASUS Helios case. No OC-ing done. The side panels are currently removed (waiting to finish the cable management). The temperature reads as 41 +/- 2 in idle mode. Isn't this a bit high with an AIO and an open case?
The reason I'm concerned a bit is that when I tried to install the AIO on the cpu, the coldplate glided somewhat (really poor latch-screw design !) .. Also please check the corsair link image below: Two temps register above 100!! which have gotten me both confused and concerned. Do you think I should repaste? Or the temps given the above situation is just normal?
A3Q06hJ.png

UtJ9ola.png
8QE5PLU.png

EDIT: Could a moderator please move this post to the Cooling sub-forum. Maybe this post is better suited to that SF. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
There is no reason for concerns with the temps that you mentioned. The fans on your AIO will dynamically change speed depending on the temperature of the CPU, which may result in a "higher" temp at idle. Your load temps looks absolutely fine for your cooling setup and ambient temps. I feel as a rule of thumb, as long as you are not experiencing any freezing or instability due to temps, just continue to use it normally. There is no need to get worried.
Jul 17, 2020
I don't wanna say that it is normal, but how are the temps under full load? Try it with gaming or some synthetic load and measure those! Have you Overclocked it? Did you adjust the fan Curve or speeds?

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Nothing
I don't wanna say that it is normal, but how are the temps under full load? Try it with gaming or some synthetic load and measure those! Have you Overclocked it? Did you adjust the fan Curve or speeds?
All is stock. Haven't changed anything from stock settings. Those two 106 and 126 temps have gotten me worried. It just might be garbage reporting from corsair link or it actually might be abnormal temp that corsair is reporting but not accurately.

Nothing

All is stock. Haven't changed anything from stock settings. Those two 106 and 126 temps have gotten me worried. It just might be garbage reporting from corsair link or it actually might be abnormal temp that corsair is reporting but not accurately.
That max temp is wrong for sure, it would shut off at 95c therefore idle temp may not be accurate either. Otherwise, even 40c is not to high at idle (1-2% usage) but witk good cooler, 10-15c above ambient temp is normal.
Try to cross reference with Ryzen Master an/or HWinfo64. should be much more accurate.

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
That max temp is wrong for sure, it would shut off at 95c therefore idle temp may not be accurate either. Otherwise, even 40c is not to high at idle (1-2% usage) but witk good cooler, 10-15c above ambient temp is normal.
Try to cross reference with Ryzen Master an/or HWinfo64. should be much more accurate.
Ryzen Master’s screenshot is attached above. 41. Will run Cinebench and report back.

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Under load, the clock speeds (and needed core voltage for those speeds) are higher; naturally, as soon as the load is removed, the temps fall instantly.

WHich is normal
That I understand. I was just reporting the behavior. I am just wondering without the sidepanels, and the top dust filter, isn't 40 a bit highish? Ambient temp is around 20-22 C (~ 72F).. I have been busy with putting another system together, so I haven't come back to this build and test the temps with the case fully enclosed - as it's intended. Will report that too probably today.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
There is no reason for concerns with the temps that you mentioned. The fans on your AIO will dynamically change speed depending on the temperature of the CPU, which may result in a "higher" temp at idle. Your load temps looks absolutely fine for your cooling setup and ambient temps. I feel as a rule of thumb, as long as you are not experiencing any freezing or instability due to temps, just continue to use it normally. There is no need to get worried.

Solution