Question Is an amp worth it for an 80 ohm headset ?

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I have a Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohms and I've been thinking about getting an amp for a while. Is it worth it? The volume is loud enough by just plugging it into my PC, but I would like to get better bass. I'm thinking about either getting the FiiO K3s or the E10k.

Jun 18, 2023
Are you using a soundcard?

Usually using their software really gives you a lot more control of the sound incl bass and quality(also as @ARICH5 says in Speaker Enhancements you can also up to various Studio qualities).

I think you can also download software like Creative Studio software and others.

Might be worth a try before buying amp.

No, I'll give it a go.

But does it not just make the sound louder? If I want better quality and bass I need an amp no?
No. All an amp does is make the signal stronger. Any imperfections in the audio signal will be stronger too. It may do some filtering, but that shouldn't be something to expect out of an amplifier.

If you want better quality audio, you need a separate DAC. But I'd argue the quality out of most audio chips these days is good enough that you wouldn't notice in practice.

If you want more bass, you need to find your audio hardware's control panel software and adjust the equalizer.