[SOLVED] Is an Anti-Static wrist strap necessary for building on carpet?

BlatmatticJR

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I am about to build a new PC and it is the most expensive one that I have ever build but the only place that I have room to build it is in my office which has carpet. I have upgraded and fiddled around with components in here before and just touched the radiator but never done a full PC build.

Solution
While the system is still plugged in (but powered down) ground yourself by putting your hand on the metal structure of the case. Then power down the system and unplug it at the power supply. Wait a minute or two for the capacitors to discharge, and commence with your work. You can also work at the kitchen counter in which case you can ground your self at the kitchen faucet assuming that you have copper plumbing.

But if you are more comfortable with an anti-static wrist band, they are very inexpensive.
While the system is still plugged in (but powered down) ground yourself by putting your hand on the metal structure of the case. Then power down the system and unplug it at the power supply. Wait a minute or two for the capacitors to discharge, and commence with your work. You can also work at the kitchen counter in which case you can ground your self at the kitchen faucet assuming that you have copper plumbing.

But if you are more comfortable with an anti-static wrist band, they are very inexpensive.

Solution