Is an audio cable necessary?

Jim

I was wondering (on a Dell 4600) if a dvd burner needs to have an
audio cable between the dvd and the added sound card to get sound when
playing a dvd? If so, I guess it can also be connected from the dvd
and the motherboard's integrated sound card as well?

The reason I ask this, is when I got the 4600, there was a dvd, an
added sound card but no audio cable between them.

Windows XP does all audio through the IDE cable for cd's and dvd's. In the
case of DVD-video playback, since the audio is digital and converted back to
analog with the dvd decoder, it goes through the ide cable regardles of the
OS.