Is an expensive case really necessary?

danielrc14

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Hi, I'm building my first pc, and so far is:
- GPU: EVGA gtx 1060 6GB SC
- CPU: i5 6500
- Motherboard: MSI B150 Mortar (micro ATX)
- PSU: Corsair CX650M (650 W, bronze, modular)
- Etc (the rest doesn't really matter for this)

And I'm not sure about the case.

Should I go for something expensive or not? How many fans slots are enough? Considering I'll buy a modular PSU, are cable management really features necessary? Is there another aspect I'm not that I should consider?

Btw, I pretty don't care about anything visual, as long as the case is not ugly as hell.

For now my best option is the Cooler Master Masterbox 5, but it has only one rear fan slot, so I'll just have 1 exhaust fan vs 2 intake fans, do you think this is enough? Do you think maybe it's too expensive and I should for something cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
That power supply isn't the greatest. My good buddy which is a power supply master and senior moderator likes it, but I don't feel that the original low quality CX models have been improved enough for me to recommend the newer versions.

Expensive or not? Depends on what you're looking for.

Is cable management necessary? It'll help you have some piece of mind when you open the tower so you're not lost in a bundle of wires trying to figure out which is not doing what you want it to do.

Are there other aspects you should consider? Motherboard compatibility, power supply should be on the bottom.

Three fans is plenty for your hardware. I think the Cooler Master Masterbox 5 is a really good case for the price. I'd recommend it over the...
That power supply isn't the greatest. My good buddy which is a power supply master and senior moderator likes it, but I don't feel that the original low quality CX models have been improved enough for me to recommend the newer versions.

Expensive or not? Depends on what you're looking for.

Is cable management necessary? It'll help you have some piece of mind when you open the tower so you're not lost in a bundle of wires trying to figure out which is not doing what you want it to do.

Are there other aspects you should consider? Motherboard compatibility, power supply should be on the bottom.

Three fans is plenty for your hardware. I think the Cooler Master Masterbox 5 is a really good case for the price. I'd recommend it over the cases I use to use. See the link below for my personal favorite cases other than the Masterbox 5.

Compare my favorite cases.

Solution
Buying a system case in a lot of ways these days just like an expensive motherboard means it will be well thought out in respect to cooling.

The amount of system fans you can fit.
A well ordered size for air circulation and cooling.
Along with adequate storage mounting of HD`s or SSD drives.

And the ability to access components fitted to the system case with ease.
and expansion options.

You don`t have to go mad on the price of the system case.
But it helps in the long run to bear in mind that on average the system case for some users will often be used for addition of new components at a later date.

Or at some point be used again for a totally new system build from the ground up years down the line.
It depends on your ambition and for sight for any future upgrading or addition of your system build.

Having enough free space for expansion is not a bad thing.

The title of the listing reads "Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 RED LED Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case ATX (not included) Power Supply"... Am I buying a power supply? Case is apparently not included... Kidding. But they need to work on their wording.

danielrc14

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016

Thanks a lot! I think I'll just go for the MasterBox 5, it has really good reviews and it's not that expensive. My room does get hot sometimes though, but nothing extreme, hope I'm still good.

What PSU would you recommend instead?

As long as your room doesn't go above 35C (95F), you should be fine. When the room gets hot, more case fans will not solve your problems. There are two ways of dealing with a computer in a hot environment:
1) Adjust or replace the component coolers (CPU cooler, graphics card cooler, etc)
2) Cool down your room

What PSU would you recommend instead?

Do you intend to add a second graphics card in the future?

For your current config, the Seasonic M12ii 520w Bronze EVO Edition should serve you well. Please don't judge it for only being 80+ Bronze and not 80+ Gold. Those are efficiency ratings and do not represent actual unit quality in any way.