[SOLVED] Is an i5-3570k System Worth Reviving?

I replaced my old gaming system recently with all new parts (except for the case).

The old system is an i5-3570k, big ol' Noctua air cpu cooler, ASUS Z77 motherboard, 16 gb RAM, R9 290 GPU, and a Corsair HX750 PSU (bought in 2010). The only 100% sure broken component was the R9 290. I suspect the PSU and/or motherboard were failing as well (random USB ports disconnects, black screens, system not shutting down properly, etc..., and a couple of blue screens). I'm assuming (maybe a bad assumption?) that the CPU is good. CPU's rarely die, right?

I would replace the PSU first and see if the system was stable using the integrated graphics. If it still wasn't stable, I would replace the motherboard with another Z77 motherboard. I could reuse the Windows license.

So, theoretically, for about $200, maybe less,I could have another system. I could even toss in another decent GPU and my daughter could use it for gaming.

What do you think? Is it worth it?

Solution
Since your r9-290 is definitely dead, remove it and connect the monitor to the integrated motherboard output and do some testing. A intel processor almost never goes bad, that would be the least most likely failure cause.
Corsair HX is a good unit and not likely to be bad. But, in time, all things fail and a failing PSU can cause strange failures.

Strange random failures could also be caused by software.
Before discarding the system, see if a fresh windows install does any good.

You can exercise the pc without windows by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

If the system looks ok, buy your daughter a discrete graphics card to use the...
I couldn't see it being worthwhile if the motherboard is dead.

New system or repair. You'd need a new PSU in either case. So that is a no brainer. Same with the GPU. As for the motherboard. If it was bad. I'd sell the motherboard for parts only (might get $15). Then sell the RAM and CPU. A basic Ryzen CPU, B450 motherboard and DDR4 RAM shouldn't cost much more. When you factor the ridiculous Z77 used prices and what you get for your parts.

As for the Windows license. New setup or replacement motherboard. You'd be in the same boat as to whether your existing license goes through or not. As the license is tied to the motherboard.

I couldn't see it being worthwhile if the motherboard is dead.

New system or repair. You'd need a new PSU in either case. So that is a no brainer. Same with the GPU. As for the motherboard. If it was bad. I'd sell the motherboard for parts only (might get $15). Then sell the RAM and CPU. A basic Ryzen CPU, B450 motherboard and DDR4 RAM shouldn't cost much more. When you factor the ridiculous Z77 used prices and what you get for your parts.

As for the Windows license. New setup or replacement motherboard. You'd be in the same boat as to whether your existing license goes through or not. As the license is tied to the motherboard.

I've heard that if it's the same chipset (Z77), microsoft is pretty lenient.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=Property&Subcategory=280&N=100007627 600311010&IsPowerSearch=1

microsoft is not that lenient, another mobo is another mobo nevermind if it is the same socket
That being said, if you can extract the licence code or have a sticker (even if it is a win 7 code) windows legally allows you to "transfer" the code once

Once you have the code, just perform a clean install using that code
you can even use a code from an old pc provided it is never being connected to the internet ever again (referring to the old pc you used the code from)

As your concerns towards cpu's they are pretty much immortal, if you can get your hands on a cheap lga 1155 mobo I don't see why you shouldn't reuse your old system

I've heard that if it's the same chipset (Z77), microsoft is pretty lenient.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=Property&Subcategory=280&N=100007627 600311010&IsPowerSearch=1

Sometimes. If you speak to a live person and the CPU and GPU don't change. You might convince them that it was a repair of the same system.

Anyways, those prices are absurd for old hardware. Considering you could get $80 for your CPU and RAM. If you add that to the $120 for an old motherboard. That would have been $200 you can put towards new parts. You can get a B450 Motherboard, Ryzen 2600 and 16GB DDR4 3000 memory for $270. With that you have all new parts that are considerably more advance, with warranties. While old parts have no warranty. Being old they are more likely to fail.

As you are also replacing the PSU and GPU. That $70 is a small difference for better tech and peace of mind. Even if you can't transfer the license. You can use Windows 10 as long as you want without activation. You can get a cheap license off Kinguin.net from a big well rated seller (some small risk in activation failing later). You can save up to buy a proper OEM or Retail license.

Since your r9-290 is definitely dead, remove it and connect the monitor to the integrated motherboard output and do some testing. A intel processor almost never goes bad, that would be the least most likely failure cause.
Corsair HX is a good unit and not likely to be bad. But, in time, all things fail and a failing PSU can cause strange failures.

Strange random failures could also be caused by software.
Before discarding the system, see if a fresh windows install does any good.

You can exercise the pc without windows by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

If the system looks ok, buy your daughter a discrete graphics card to use the system for gaming.
That will make it easier to justify a new build for you.

If memtest86 fails, you could buy a new strong psu suitable for your future build.
Seasonic focus is excellent.
Install that, if all works, you will have identified the HX750 PSU as the culprit.
Keep the psu for a new build and buy a lesser unit capable of supporting whatever graphics card your daughter will need.

If you still fail, abandon the system, replacing the motherboard is probably not a good thing to do.

Ultimately, only YOU can determine worth.

Solution
I tested with the integrated motherboard output and it worked for awhile then black screened.

I also tried a fresh Windows install, using a new GPU as well as the integrated motherboard output and both eventually failed.

Surprisingly, I was able to run memtest86 for 4 hours with no errors before I stopped it. So I'm pretty sure the RAM is good.

My guess is the PSU and/or the motherboard are the culprits. I'm hoping just the PSU.

Thanks everybody for the advice!