Is an i5 6600k + 1070 SLI a good idea?

EDSman11

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
With all of the cyber monday deals still going on I'm debating picking up a second 1070 to add to my rig. I have a 6600k and was wondering if it would be worth the money to pick up a second gpu. I have a 1440p 144 hz monitor so the extra power would go to good use if the cpu wont be a significant bottleneck.

Thanks!

Solution
If you have overclocked your I5-6600K, and you should, it will be as good as it gets today for gaming.

If your games support sli(some will not) and you have a suitable motherboard and a 700w psu, then sli is reasonable.
You will win fps benchmarks.

But... there are caveats.
You will be exposed to screen tearing and stuttering.

My guess is that selling the GTX1070 in favor of a GTX1080 would cost less and give you sufficient capability for 1440P gaming.
If you aspire to 4k gaming, then sli will be your best option.
If you have overclocked your I5-6600K, and you should, it will be as good as it gets today for gaming.

If your games support sli(some will not) and you have a suitable motherboard and a 700w psu, then sli is reasonable.
You will win fps benchmarks.

But... there are caveats.
You will be exposed to screen tearing and stuttering.

My guess is that selling the GTX1070 in favor of a GTX1080 would cost less and give you sufficient capability for 1440P gaming.
If you aspire to 4k gaming, then sli will be your best option.

Solution

thormejh

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
filippi-as far as cooler, i would go hyper 212, so good for so cheap.

geofelt-also it would be a pretty solid idea to buy a 1080, and sell the 1070, but it is a little more work

i use amazon to sell stuff all the time, its super easy, but takes a while to get your money from amazon.

2x1070 on SLI paired with i5 6600k is good, if you see from processor point of view.
Just do not forget, SLI has it's own perks e.g. some games does not support SLI, potential microstutter issue, different performance scaling on different games, etc.
In my opinion, It would be better, if you wanna wait for 1080Ti.

Actually you could get (just today) the superior CRYORIG H7 for 30 bucks.
you cant beat this for bargain.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565&cm_re=CRYORIG_H7-_-13C-000U-00005-_-Product