[SOLVED] Is an i7 5th generation desktop good for gaming?

Jul 30, 2020
An i7 5th generation Desktop packing a Nvidia GTX 1070 with an MSI X99 and 16 GB of RAM. Is it gonna be able to play the latest games?

Solution
An i7 5th generation Desktop packing a Nvidia GTX 1070 with an MSI X99 and 16 GB of RAM. Is it gonna be able to play the latest games?
It most certainly can, my rx 580 which is a weaker gpu than yours paired with an r5 2600 can game on the latest games at 1440p 60FPS. (I also agree with what USAFRet said above as all parts are just as important.) If the pc has a reliable psu that can support the system etc and functions properly then for $500 that's an INSANELY good deal. Cooling is also another thing too.
It most certainly can, my rx 580 which is a weaker gpu than yours paired with an r5 2600 can game on the latest games at 1440p 60FPS. (I also agree with what USAFRet said above as all parts are just as important.) If the pc has a reliable psu that can support the system etc and functions properly then for $500 that's an INSANELY good deal. Cooling is also another thing too.

Last edited:
Solution

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
This is so-so deal if the MSI motherboard is from the first gen of boards, the CPU is 5820k, (not assuming your specific knowledge - but remember X99/2011-3 platform CPU generation models are one forward - so 5th gen is Haswell not Broadwell as is the case with Socket 1150) the RAM kit is the original 2133 MHz, and the PSU is some odd "800W" unit . It is a steal if the motherboard is from the second gen, the CPU is 5930k or higher (Broadwell is even better), and it has a decent power supply. What about the disk drive - is it an ssd? Before spending the cash, look inside and figure out what exactly is in there. The included monitor could just be a 10 year old lcd from the predecessor machine included here as "added value". If your contemplated machine has the first scenario of components, you are paying little more than what the individual parts are worth separately, and I'd pass. The seller basically hopes you will bite because of the GTX 1070.

TRENDING THREADS