[SOLVED] Is an Intel Core i3-6100 (3.2GHz) enough CPU?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Good Evening, All,

I am going to acquire an HP EliteDesk Mini from our friends at Ebay. They are available with CPUs ranging from Celeron, most Haswell, and most 6th generation Intel processors. They are generally priced accordingly.

I want to use one as a media server, dealing with up to four streams, as well as running an NAS. Will an Intel Core I3-6100 (3.2 GHz) be enough processor or must I move up to an I5 or I7? If I should go the I5 or I7 route what is the least processor you all would recommend.

As always, your insights are greatly appreciated.

Larry

Solution
I am using an i3-6100 as my Plex server, and it's going to largely depend on your sources - if you have 720p encoded videos the i3-6100 can do about 3 of them, in 1080 only 2, and if you have any 2k or 4k encodings just get the i7 :)

Plex support has a good requirements page here, and if you subscribe you can enable hardware encoded streams to get even more out of it. I don't subscribe so I can't comment on that...
I am using an i3-6100 as my Plex server, and it's going to largely depend on your sources - if you have 720p encoded videos the i3-6100 can do about 3 of them, in 1080 only 2, and if you have any 2k or 4k encodings just get the i7 :)

Plex support has a good requirements page here, and if you subscribe you can enable hardware encoded streams to get even more out of it. I don't subscribe so I can't comment on that...

Solution