Question Is an Intel i3 compatible with an Intel Core 2 Quad?

bobz5460

Prominent
Jun 3, 2022
Title. I have an Acer TC-885 motherboard with an Intel i3-8100 8th gen, and I have a Core 2 Quad sitting around. Would a Core 2 Quad be better? And if so is the motherboard compatible with it? Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no they are not the same socket and not compatible with each other.

you need a socket 775 motherboard for the core 2 quad.

2nd answer is also a no, the i3 is a better cpu by a good bit. not worth putting any money into the old core 2 unless you just wanna play around with it. that's an old ddr2 system so you'd need some old ram and an old mobo to get it running.

DSzymborski

Titan
Title. I have an Acer TC-885 motherboard with an Intel i3-8100 8th gen, and I have a Core 2 Quad sitting around. Would a Core 2 Quad be better? And if so is the motherboard compatible with it? Thanks.

Let's put it this way: the most recent CPU released that would work with any motherboard that any Core2Quad CPU would work with was January 2010. That's like six or seven mainstream sockets ago.

In any case, the i3-8100 is, depending on the benchmark chosen, between 60% and 100% more powerful than the most powerful CPU on that platform, a $1500 Core2Extreme.