[SOLVED] Is an M.2 SSD needed for a pc to work?

Nov 22, 2019
So, I'm pretty bad with PC's and I'm looking to buy a new PC from FiercePC. I'm looking through the list of things I can improve to make the PC better and I see M.2 SSD. I have no clue what this is so I am wondering if this is required for a PC to work, like Windows 10, or a graphics card? Or is it just something that you can have to make it better but not needed?

Solution
A PC needs a boot drive.

Historically boot drives, in general terms, have evolved from HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to SSD (Solid State Drive) and now to M.2 (another form of SSD but smaller with additional industry standards).

For more information:

https://unihost.com/help/nvme-vs-ssd-vs-hdd-overview-and-comparison/

You can easily find other similar links to read.

A M.2 SSD is just a choice but a good choice. The M.2 SSD is likely to be the computer's boot drive but the computer will probably have a second drive (HDD or SDD) for data.

That said, post the spec's for the new PC you are considering. There are other factors involved and the proposed build should be considered as a whole.

Ralston18

Titan
A PC needs a boot drive.

Historically boot drives, in general terms, have evolved from HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to SSD (Solid State Drive) and now to M.2 (another form of SSD but smaller with additional industry standards).

For more information:

https://unihost.com/help/nvme-vs-ssd-vs-hdd-overview-and-comparison/

You can easily find other similar links to read.

A M.2 SSD is just a choice but a good choice. The M.2 SSD is likely to be the computer's boot drive but the computer will probably have a second drive (HDD or SDD) for data.

That said, post the spec's for the new PC you are considering. There are other factors involved and the proposed build should be considered as a whole.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
So, I'm pretty bad with PC's and I'm looking to buy a new PC from FiercePC. I'm looking through the list of things I can improve to make the PC better and I see M.2 SSD. I have no clue what this is so I am wondering if this is required for a PC to work, like Windows 10, or a graphics card? Or is it just something that you can have to make it better but not needed?
An "M.2 SSD" is simply a type of hard drive.
You need a drive of some sort, but it does not need to be an "M.2"

And we can go into all the differences if you wish.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
a m.2 is like a ssd, is a storage drive that is alot faster

some people is ok with a hard disk, for windows, and for games

once you use your fist ssd for windows, you will only want to have ssds or nvme

everything loads faster, games load faster, web browsers, windows, it does improve the experience you have with your new pc

but yes, you don't have to have it, but is very nice to have it

if you are budget limited, go with a decent 2 tb hard disk, later consider to add the nvme or a good ssd at least, you will feel the difference when compared to a hard dis, is a drastic change