Is an MD5 Checksum adequate to verify that files copied successfully?

sirhawkeye64

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
So I've been using a program called GoodSync to sync my photo hard drive to a backup drive (that I take off-site). I had been using Windows Explorer for the longest time but started to get concerned about the integrity of files and file corruption during copying.
I see that GoodSync can do an MD5 checksum during copying, on each file it copies to verify that it's been copied without error. My question is if MD5 is sufficient to tell if a file was copied successfully as not corrupted during the copying process? Or is there another more reliable method or software I should be using to backup/sync hard drives.

Solution
An MD5 file check should be more than enough to ensure integrity. The chance of it failing to catch a random transfer error would be so infinitesimally small that it's probably not even worth considering.

Now, MD5 is no longer considered to be "cryptographically secure", since there were found to be ways to purposely create duplicate hashes, so it shouldn't be used for encryption purposes. However, it should be extremely reliable as a way to check transferred files against errors.
An MD5 file check should be more than enough to ensure integrity. The chance of it failing to catch a random transfer error would be so infinitesimally small that it's probably not even worth considering.

Now, MD5 is no longer considered to be "cryptographically secure", since there were found to be ways to purposely create duplicate hashes, so it shouldn't be used for encryption purposes. However, it should be extremely reliable as a way to check transferred files against errors.

Solution