[SOLVED] Is my planned upgrade worth it (i7-6700 to i9-9900kf)

Dezy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Hey,
Im considering to upgrade my pc. First of my current System:
CPU: i7-6700
Motherboard: H170 Asus Pro gaming
GPU: Asus Strix 1080ti 12gb
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2133
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 300
Powersupply: Seasonic Focus Gold 700w
Monitor: 2560px1440p 144 hz

I researched a little and came to following Upgrades:
New CPU: i9-9900kf
New Motherboard: (unsure and open to suggestions) MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
New Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
New RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3600,

1. Is it worth it ? I’m able and willing to pay certain amount but how much actual FPS will it get me ?

2. Should I wait for the next Ryzen Gen or in general should I rather use Ryzen Cpus

3. In General Im open to suggestions, other Ram other cooling etc. I have little experience so don’t hold back.

Greetings
Dezy

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Most games will be limited more by the gpu than the cpu.
Particularly fast action games or playing at higher resolutions.
Multiplayer with many participants is the one category where many threads are important.

Your GTX1080ti is a fine card.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you come out wanting a stronger cpu, then look at intel 11th gen or ryzen 5000 series.
They have new architectures which produce some 19% improved performance per clock.

Any modern processor will also...
1. Depends on how much you're paying. FPS is hard to say. It depends on the game and if it is heavily multi-threaded. For lightly threaded games probably not that much. Mostly whatever the percent difference is in the Turbo Boost of the 9900KF and your 6700. As there isn't a big IPC improvement as they're both basically born from the same design.

2. Zen 4 isn't expected until the end of 2022. If they do release anything before that it'll just be some middling bump of the current Zen 3 line.

3. I don't know what price you're seeing for a 9900KF new. Old gen parts sold new are generally massive ripoffs. I'm seeing those at around $370. A current gen Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) or Intel 11th Gen (Rocket Lake) available at that price will blow the doors off a 9900KF. I'd get either one of those instead.

If you're doing the waiting game. You could wait to see what Alder Lake offers towards the end of the year. When Intel will finally get their desktop line on their 10nm process. It should be a huge improvement in efficiency. As it'll feature up to 8 big and 8 little cores or as low as 6 big and no little cores. Allowing for huge gains in energy efficiency. Plus dumping light tasks on the little cores (on higher end models). So the big cores can put all their performance to heavy tasks. If I'm reading the article right it'll also bring DDR 5 and PCIe 5.0. Alder Lake will also be a big performance improvement over Rocket Lake.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Big-l...tails-on-Raptor-Lake-and-beyond.544369.0.html

So, the big news this year will probably be Intel. Given how much Intel was able to squeeze out of 14nm. I won't be surprised if Alder Lake on 10nm closes the AMD gap. Except maybe massively multi-threaded tasks on the 16 Core Ryzen. But that's not a gaming issue. When Zen 4 comes out next year it'll be doing battle with Raptor Lake.

2023 will be more interesting. When Intel and AMD should be releasing chips built with TSMC's 3nm process. As it'll put their chip designs head to head. Getting rid of one or the other having a fab advantage. Also Intel should be releasing their first 7nm that year (TSMC equivalent of 5nm).

1. Is it worth it ? I’m able and willing to pay certain amount but how much actual FPS will it get me ?
  2. Should I wait for the next Ryzen Gen or in general should I rather use Ryzen Cpus
Going with Intel 9th gen, when Intel 12th gen is getting released this year, seems to be a bad choice.
Either get Intel 10th or 11th gen or
wait till Intel 12th gen gets released or
choose Ryzen instead.

Most games will be limited more by the gpu than the cpu.
Particularly fast action games or playing at higher resolutions.
Multiplayer with many participants is the one category where many threads are important.

Your GTX1080ti is a fine card.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you come out wanting a stronger cpu, then look at intel 11th gen or ryzen 5000 series.
They have new architectures which produce some 19% improved performance per clock.

Any modern processor will also require a motherboard replacement.
Your current ram would be ok on an intel upgrade, but for ryzen best performance, faster ram is suggested.

What is your budget??
I would expect that a i5-11400 or similar would be a good cpu upgrade.
A B560 based motherboard is all you need since 11400 can not be overclocked.
Here is a review:
Unfortunately, the word is out about how good the 11400 is and prices area all over the place.
11400 is not a hot processor and your current cooler should be ok.
11500 or 11600k are other good options.
If you want to get into the ryzen game, then 5600X is a good processor.

If your need is not urgent, and you are ok until the end of the year, Intel will introduce a new chipset, processor, and ddr5 ram based systems.
AMD will follow, perhaps this time next year.

Last edited:
Solution
Id say if you're gonna go with an older gen cpu, go with the 9700k instead of the 9900k if you're only gaming. I'm actually running a 9700F unlocked to 125w on an ASRock board with a 3060TI. Runs awesome for the money. You could go with a newer platform, but I don't think its work the investment with the upcoming platforms on the horizon. If your're gonna buy a later platform, might as well wait.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not worth the money. Too many ppl are stuck on fps as some sort of magical number, but for the most part couldn't tell the difference. Even with a 240Hz monitor, playing CSGO and getting 300fps out of the 6700k and getting 500fps out of a 11900k , you'd not see a difference.

The Only time an upgrade to cpu makes any sense is when it's severely limiting. Getting 30fps out of a game on a 3770k vs 90fps on the 6700k vs 150fps for a 11700k, then that's worth it as it changes visible results and playability.

Same goes for gpu. If it's a limiting factor to playability, then an upgrade is warranted. But take everything into consideration. Visibly there's very little noticeable difference between High and Ultra. In GTA5, you've driven past the lump of grass so fast you rarely even notice the lump of green, so would clarifying every single blade with shadows make any difference in reality vs a lump of green with less shading. Does the gpu hold back performance vs monitor resolution and refresh, are your minimums so low they cause stuttering.

Ask yourself if the upgrade will improve playability and gaming experience. If yes, there are better choices than 9th gen, if not really then it's wasted money.