is an old 1280x1024 monitor any good? hp l1706

emmanuel49

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
So I am serious about getting into PC gaming and have decided I want to get a PC with an AMD R9 270 and an AMD X4 750k CPU. But here is the problem, I don't have enough money for a 1080p monitor (tough being a full time student). Should I stick with an old monitor that I have had for a few years with a VGA connector or should i wait 5-6 weeks to get a 1080p monitor? Is the difference between games (like battlefield 4) at 1280x1024 and 1080p big enough to make me want to get a 1080p monitor. The monitor is a HP L1706
Thank you very much for the help.

Solution
Well that CPU wont be able to handle 1080p on anything beyond low to medium settings (depending on how cpu intensive the game is) and will be bottlenecking any gpu upgrade you may do in the future.

The FM2 socket cpus are just flat out weak cpus and once you have maxed out the socket with the best of the best cpu available to it, you are still less then an i3 or fx-6300 in real world performance. You will be much much better off getting an fx-8320 with a gigabyte or asrock 970 chipset motherboard. Otherwise once you want to upgrade you will be forced to replace the cpu and motherboard to make any kind of noticeable improvement.

WildCard999

Titan
The difference is pretty significant going from 1280x1024 to full 1080P. I would use the HP for now until you can afford a 1080P monitor. Once you purchase a 1080P monitor I would also get a Display-Port connection or at least a HDMI connection to get the best visuals from the monitor.

Well that CPU wont be able to handle 1080p on anything beyond low to medium settings (depending on how cpu intensive the game is) and will be bottlenecking any gpu upgrade you may do in the future.

The FM2 socket cpus are just flat out weak cpus and once you have maxed out the socket with the best of the best cpu available to it, you are still less then an i3 or fx-6300 in real world performance. You will be much much better off getting an fx-8320 with a gigabyte or asrock 970 chipset motherboard. Otherwise once you want to upgrade you will be forced to replace the cpu and motherboard to make any kind of noticeable improvement.

Solution