Is an RX 570 OC'ed to 1450Mhz the same as a stock RX 580?

Jan 5, 2019
I'm new to all this, and did some research here and elsewhere, but I can't seem to find an answer. Apologies if this is a repeat question.

I have overclocked an MSI Armor RX 570 Mk2 to 1450Mhz, with RAM OC'ed to 2000 Mhz, using Wattman. Temps appear to be in the low-70s. 3DMark Stress Test results are are 99.7 (Fire Strike) and 99.5 (Time Spy)

Does that mean my OC'ed 570 is essentially the same as a stock 580 now? Or is there something significantly different about the architecture of the 580 Polaris chip that the 570 can't achieve?

It's part of a budget build with a Ryzen 5 2600 and 16GB RAM. It's mostly for couch gaming with a 1080p TV, but we're doing some WMR VR as well. I'm fairly happy with the graphics quality and framerate in most situations, but I'm just looking for a performance boost to help facilitate the smoothest VR possible on a budget (mostly to help with the occasional motion sickness). OC'ing the 570 took it from a 6.3 to 7.0 score in the SteamVR performance test (both are considered high, with framerate at or above 90 fps). There was improvement in 3DMark and VRMark as well, but I don't have those #s in front of me.

The Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 is still within my budget at the moment, but not sure if it's worth it or not based on my 570 OC (in terms of spending an extra $40-$50, going to the trouble returning the 570, etc)

It might perform similarly to a stock RX 580, but it's not the same as a stock RX 580. There is a shader count difference and that will vary performance from game to game. You might also keep in mind that if you overclocked an RX 580, it will perform faster than a stock RX 580.

Whether it is worth it, is a personal choice. If you are happy with what you have, then you probably don't need to upgrade.

Jan 5, 2019
Thank you both for the quick response. I'll probably give it a day to consider, but it seems like I might want to go with a 580. I figured it was too good to be true that I would be able to so easily OC a 570 into a 580 (although I seem to be reading that you can essentially OC a 580 into a 590, but either way I think my budget stops at a 580). I appreciate the help understanding this!

TRENDING THREADS