Is an SSD boot drive worth it on a 3 Gb/s mobo?

Solution
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer:
The value of a ssd is the very low latency for random reads and writes. That is what the os does most of the time. It will be 50x faster than the fastest hard drive. Random reads are not much dependent on transfer rates, so sata 2/3 is not important.

For sequential operations, sata 3 is faster. sata2 will be 2x faster than a hard drive, sata 3 will be 3x faster. Regardless of which type sata you have, a ssd is a very good performance enhancer.
You will not regret buying one.
And... larger ssd's perform a bit better. There are more nand chips that can be read in parallel.
I suggest a 240gb ssd if you can.

USAFRet

Titan

An unqualified Yes.

Will it be faster than an HDD on that same motherboard? Yes
Will it be 'as fast' as an SSD in a SATA III port? No, but not that you'd notice much.

But any good, recent, SSD will be just fine when connected in a SATA II (3Gbps) port.

akaChromez

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

3 Gb/s is faster than most SSDs anyway (unless im stupid, so don't take my word for it) so, yes, you'll be fine.

USAFRet

Titan

No...In my system, I can see the difference between identical SSD's (840 EVO) connected in different ports, SATA III or SATA II.
But both are far, far faster than an HDD.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer:
The value of a ssd is the very low latency for random reads and writes. That is what the os does most of the time. It will be 50x faster than the fastest hard drive. Random reads are not much dependent on transfer rates, so sata 2/3 is not important.

For sequential operations, sata 3 is faster. sata2 will be 2x faster than a hard drive, sata 3 will be 3x faster. Regardless of which type sata you have, a ssd is a very good performance enhancer.
You will not regret buying one.
And... larger ssd's perform a bit better. There are more nand chips that can be read in parallel.
I suggest a 240gb ssd if you can.

Solution

CrownedEmperor312

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014

Do you mind explaining what "sequential operations" are? Thanks.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
The reason ssds are faster with os booting and application loads are the 4k random reads which still doesn't max sata 1.5 at around 24-28MB/s vs a platter drive that gets 0.5MB/s average this is where the noticeable speed comes from. games that stream form disk as you play ( skyrim divinity 2 etc benefit from the sequential speed as well.)

USAFRet

Titan

"Sequential" - a single large file, in a contiguous space on the drive. For instance...a very large video file.
"Random" - many small files read and written from various places on the drive. As would happen when accessing the OS or just about all applications.

CrownedEmperor312

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014

So for random reading and writing, like booting up the OS or starting applications, having SATA 2 instead of SATA 3 doesn't matter, right?

USAFRet

Titan

Only a teeny bit, if at all.
Get the SSD. You'll love it.

TRENDING THREADS