Is an ssd needed in a gaming PC build?

lfcste1

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I’m getting a PC soon and the processor I want I can afford with a hdd but without an ssd but I can downgrade the processor and get an ssd along with a hdd. So is the ssd actually needed or necessary and should I just stick to without it?

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
An SSD is not a necessity.
Until you use a PC that has one.
Then you will be spoiled for life and will never be able to go back to using a PC without one.

Please don't downgrade one component so you can get another component.
That's a recipe for never being satisfied and buying things twice.

Wait on the SSD, but plan for it now.
If you intend to get a 250GB SSD, install Windows on a 240GB HDD partition.
That will make your life so much easier when you clone the HDD to the SSD later.

adomus1

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
Here is where your Money should go. This is with no overclocking being mixed into the equation.
Z370 Motherboard or even a z270 with the i5 6600K is good cheaper option
i5 Coffee Lake CPU
The Best Video Card you can afford. I recommend Geforce 1070 minimum The 1080 will allow for good 4K gaming in this setup at good frames
Fastest 16 GB of memory you can afford that your Motherboard supports without overclocking
600Watt Bronze rates power supply
Then what ever is left in the budget dictates your Storage options. M.2 Drive is great for Boot and load times and then another drive to store music and files and such. Or go with a Western Digital Black series drive.
If you play mainly FPS games the only slowness you will deal with really is system boot and game load but once in game it is fine. Games that are constantly loading benefit from faster drive.
Remember you can upgrade so you have to decide your priorities. Motherboard change and Hard drive ( with OS on it ) change are the most involved. adding better video card is easy or better memory or CPU