Is an SSD worth it for gaming and game programming course

May 20, 2018
I am going to uni this year and I am getting a new pc and was wondering if I should get a SSD (500gb reccomended for me) over a hard drive or as well as a HD. I primarily play CSGO and Civ 5 but will also be using my pc for creating my own games in unreal engine for my course and was wondering if the £100 extra price tag will be worth the increased price for a SSD to ensure that everything will run as fast as possible.

I currently use 328gb out of 1.81TB (2.00TB total) of storage on my HD at the moment but its primarily unnecessary games and downloads that my brother uses. Is it worth me buying a SSD and a hard drive or just one of them if there isn't much benefit that will be provided for my case as above.

EDIT: I am able to buy storage later on in the year when I have more money, but what I should buy as of this moment that will be best.

Any help is greatly appreciated it, thanks.

Solution
You'll definitely take advantage of the 500GB SSD in system and games loading times , system responsiveness and feel and when compiling your games/programming, makes a huge difference compared to a traditional mechanical drive, moreover if you're building a new rig with one of the latest platforms, I would not miss getting an M.2 NVMe SSD drive supporting a PCIe 3.0x4 ( up to 3.2 Gb/sec read spead with Samsung 960 Evo) although slightly more expensive then the usual Sata 2.5 but worth every penny. Combine that with a a nice Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM and you'll be good to go for some serious system snappiness and fluency.
Hello kyleknuckey, you have asked the most important question. What will you use the drive for. Therefore you need to choose the right drive for the job. SSD's and Hybrid drives give you speed and HDD's give you storage. (There are combinations of the two as well)
There are may manufactures you can choose from and were are sure you will find one that suits you. Let us know if we can answer any questions; we're here to help and good luck at the university.

R0GG

Distinguished
You'll definitely take advantage of the 500GB SSD in system and games loading times , system responsiveness and feel and when compiling your games/programming, makes a huge difference compared to a traditional mechanical drive, moreover if you're building a new rig with one of the latest platforms, I would not miss getting an M.2 NVMe SSD drive supporting a PCIe 3.0x4 ( up to 3.2 Gb/sec read spead with Samsung 960 Evo) although slightly more expensive then the usual Sata 2.5 but worth every penny. Combine that with a a nice Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM and you'll be good to go for some serious system snappiness and fluency.

Solution
May 20, 2018

I found a 250GB SSD for £106, a 500GB for £204 that you recommended, and a Seagate barracude 2TB for £46. Are these what you were recommending or is it something else. I have added it to my part list that has been recommended to me for my needs. Anything else you would recommend changing or adding will be greatly appreciated, and thank you for the reply.

Current part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WYmfvn
New updated list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9ZLfyX

R0GG

Distinguished
- Seagate baracuda 7200 RPM 2 TB = excellent
- Smasung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 : best is 500GB for your purpose of creating/programing games and gaming
But if you are on a budget you can get the 250GB version and upgrade it later if needed.(if run out disk space youcan use your fast seagate drive as program files location temporarily).

Depending on your budget also you can go for the Samsung pro version 960 pro or even better the 970 pro ( price difference is not that big)
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD >> https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-PRO-512GB-MZ-V7P512BW/dp/B07C8Y31G2