Is an ultrawide monitor really better than a standard 16:9 one?

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hello,
After some research, I found an ultrawide monitor (used) that fit my needs and my budget : Philips 298P4QJEB.
But before buying it, I wanted to make sure that it was actually worth the trouble of selling my current monitors (one Asus VG248QE and one Benq GW2265) and buying the Philips one.
So, my question : Do you think that an ultrawide monitor actually is an upgrade from my current setup? Do you have any experience with this type of monitor?

Thanks

Also, I plan to overclock the ultrawide to around 80Hz

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
In games that have 21:9 support sure its nice, you have a much wider field of view. Just go watch a video on 16:9 vs 21:9, you can see a lot more of your surroundings on a 21:9 monitor.

I personally wouldn't buy a 60hz 21:9 monitor, refresh rate is more important to me than field of view. Your asus monitor is 144hz, if you are use to that a 60hz monitor will likely feel slow to you even at 80hz, are you even sure that monitor will OC to 80hz? If I was in the market for a ultrawide gaming monitor I would want it to be at least 100hz and preferably 1440p vertical resolution, but those can get quite expensive.

Farfisa

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Hello,
So I looked some comparison videos and the ultrawide experience seems very appealing. I just tested some games on a 60Hz monitor, as well as my Asus @85Hz and honestly between 85 and 144 fps, I can barely see any difference so I think that an overclock to 80Hz (or even 75Hz) would be totally fine for the fps. Now for the overclock, it seems that it should be fine :
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/558634-monitor-overclocking-is-it-safe/

What do you think? I'm really tempted to go for it.