[SOLVED] is an upgrade from a ryzen 5 3600 to a 5600x worth it?

Jun 18, 2021
My system is fairly beefy with 16gb of ram (upgrading to 32gb soon) 3200mhz, with a x570-f rog strix paired with a 3080 FE. I want to upgrade my cpu however i dont know if i can justify the price difference for the performance difference which in my opinion looks fairly small. Will it make an impact on my day to day gaming? Or is it just gonna be an improvement on benchmarks and nothing more? Im not exactly a techy person so im a bit clueless about these kind of things so would appreciate the advice, TIA.

Solution
My system is fairly beefy with 16gb of ram (upgrading to 32gb soon) 3200mhz, with a x570-f rog strix paired with a 3080 FE. I want to upgrade my cpu however i dont know if i can justify the price difference for the performance difference which in my opinion looks fairly small. Will it make an impact on my day to day gaming? Or is it just gonna be an improvement on benchmarks and nothing more? Im not exactly a techy person so im a bit clueless about these kind of things so would appreciate the advice, TIA.

It depends somewhat on what type of games you like to play, at what resolution and at what settings?

The 5600X can be up to 20% faster than a 3600 in CPU limited situations - so for example if you play on a high refresh...

It depends somewhat on what type of games you like to play, at what resolution and at what settings?

The 5600X can be up to 20% faster than a 3600 in CPU limited situations - so for example if you play on a high refresh rate 1080p monitor (e.g. 144 or 240 hz) and you are into e-sports titles (e.g. CSGO) then moving to the 5600X should net you a nice bump in fps which can help improve reaction times.

That said, if you play on a 1440p or 4k screen and / or with maxed out detail settings (or with RTX enabled for example) - then the load is going to be on your 3080 rather than the cpu - in which case the two will perform the same.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution
Jun 18, 2021

The 5600X can be up to 20% faster than a 3600 in CPU limited situations - so for example if you play on a high refresh rate 1080p monitor (e.g. 144 or 240 hz) and you are into e-sports titles (e.g. CSGO) then moving to the 5600X should net you a nice bump in fps which can help improve reaction times.

That said, if you play on a 1440p or 4k screen and / or with maxed out detail settings (or with RTX enabled for example) - then the load is going to be on your 3080 rather than the cpu - in which case the two will perform the same.
My bad forgot to list that stuff, i got a 1440 144hz monitor and im usually playing league, csgo, warzone and other shooters usually on max rtx settings dlss (if available) and depending on the game type my texture settings are usually mid/highest depending if i rather frames over looks in most cases i do. every now and then i do play some single player graphic heavy games however im usually happy with the 80-120 fps i get however i wouldnt be opposed to the extra bit of cash for performace. My mind going into this aswell is that i can sell my 3600 so i wouldnt exactly be paying full price for the cpu. In this case lets say i play these games on max everything though as it would be a better baseline to go off

Don't upgrade yet, wait it out and see what comes. Your 3600 will be fine until Intel releases their Alder Lake line up with DDR5 support later this year in maybe 3 months. AMD should be releasing their new lineup either at the end of this year or Q1 of next year (mostly speculation on AMD release dates). AMD's next release may be just a Zen 3 refresh with 3D V-Cache and possibly work on 500 series motherboards or also Zen 4 with DDR5 support on AM5 requiring a new motherboard.

Reactions: Bassman999
My bad forgot to list that stuff, i got a 1440 144hz monitor and im usually playing league, csgo, warzone and other shooters usually on max rtx settings dlss (if available) and depending on the game type my texture settings are usually mid/highest depending if i rather frames over looks in most cases i do. every now and then i do play some single player graphic heavy games however im usually happy with the 80-120 fps i get however i wouldnt be opposed to the extra bit of cash for performace. My mind going into this aswell is that i can sell my 3600 so i wouldnt exactly be paying full price for the cpu. In this case lets say i play these games on max everything though as it would be a better baseline to go off

Well at 1440p max settings, you may not get much boost, but some titles will benefit. The best option is check out some youtube footage of the games you are playing with a 3080 and similar settings and see what kind of difference you are looking at (the 5600X is essentially as fast any any cpu so looking at vids with other high end processors should give you a reasonable idea e.g. 10900K and such). With you playing at 1440p max though I don't think you are going to see huge gains.

Jun 18, 2021
Don't upgrade yet, wait it out and see what comes. Your 3600 will be fine until Intel releases their Alder Lake line up with DDR5 support later this year in maybe 3 months. AMD should be releasing their new lineup either at the end of this year or Q1 of next year (mostly speculation on AMD release dates). AMD's next release may be just a Zen 3 refresh with 3D V-Cache and possibly work on 500 series motherboards or also Zen 4 with DDR5 support on AM5 requiring a new motherboard.
yeah think i might do that, i dont think id go for intel purely because it would require a motherboard change and the intel pricetag usually packs a few digits, but yea think ill see what amd comes up with in future

Jun 18, 2021
Well at 1440p max settings, you may not get much boost, but some titles will benefit. The best option is check out some youtube footage of the games you are playing with a 3080 and similar settings and see what kind of difference you are looking at (the 5600X is essentially as fast any any cpu so looking at vids with other high end processors should give you a reasonable idea e.g. 10900K and such). With you playing at 1440p max though I don't think you are going to see huge gains.
yea i watched a comparison video and it seemed to have a decent increase in some heavy games which looked apealing, but ill have a look and compare between like you said some higher end cpus even though im kinda budgeted to the 5600x

The 5600x will let the 3080 run at it's full potential...in a few limited scenarios the 3600 can hold the 3080 back slightly. Whether or not the difference will be noticeable while gaming is another issue.

If you can squeeze out the extra money I would look at the 5800x instead as it will definitely push CPU intensive games more than the 5600x.

Jun 18, 2021
what would you say about 2nd hand cpu's? are they worth the risk? a 5800x seems to be only a little more than the 5600x for an even bigger increase from the 3600. atm i cant justify the price difference between the 3600 and the 5600x as in a lot of cases theres not much difference at 1440p, however with the 5800x theres an increase in frames by a decent ammount on most games
The 5600x will let the 3080 run at it's full potential...in a few limited scenarios the 3600 can hold the 3080 back slightly. Whether or not the difference will be noticeable while gaming is another issue.

If you can squeeze out the extra money I would look at the 5800x instead as it will definitely push CPU intensive games more than the 5600x.
Yea I’ve seen the difference in the 5800 however I don’t know I can really justify spending that much. If I decided to go for the 5800 I would deffo have to see if I can get one second hand at a decent price from which I’ve seen isn’t impossible but isn’t exactly an everyday find. The 5600 realistically is perfect money wise but there really isn’t that much of a change in performance.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
If you're very budget constrained I suggest the i5 11400, very decent CPU for only $180, or maybe the i5 11600K for a bit more.
At this point the AMD/Intel argument is a wash, with Intel there's cheaper CPUs but motherboard and cooling requirements are bigger than AMD, who have slightly more expensive CPUs.

If you're very budget constrained I suggest the i5 11400, very decent CPU for only $180, or maybe the i5 11600K for a bit more.
At this point the AMD/Intel argument is a wash, with Intel there's cheaper CPUs but motherboard and cooling requirements are bigger than AMD, who have slightly more expensive CPUs.

This would require a full system swap...the OP already has a x570 motherboard so 5000 series Ryzen makes the most sense from both a performance and cost factor.

Reactions: Makaveli
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
If you have the funds and are itching to spend, then 5600X /5800X might be a good idea.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, then the added threads of the 5800x would be good.

In a year, we will see new processors from intel and amd.
That will require new motherboards and dddr5 .

Nothing stays top tier forever.
Your 3080FE is the primary determinant of performance on gaming.
Consider any cpu upgrade as a two year thing.