[SOLVED] Is an upgrade from an i7-7700 to a Ryzen 7 2700x worth it?

Dec 17, 2019
I primarily game, I feel like my system is bottlenecked in various games, and I am currently considering moving to AMD. Major frame dips occur, dropping below 60 in various games such as destiny 2, and is not meeting expected performance. I'm unsure what the cause of this is, and whether or not upgrading to an 8 core CPU will help, being perfectly happy moving over to AMD.

CPU - i7-7700
GPU - RTX 2060
RAM - 1x8GB 2133mhz

Solution
I primarily game, I feel like my system is bottlenecked in various games, and I am currently considering moving to AMD. Major frame dips occur, dropping below 60 in various games such as destiny 2, and is not meeting expected performance. I'm unsure what the cause of this is, and whether or not upgrading to an 8 core CPU will help, being perfectly happy moving over to AMD.

CPU - i7-7700
GPU - RTX 2060
RAM - 1x8GB 2133mhz

I would move to something like the 3600x or 3700x and grab better memory...something like 16 or 32gig of 3600mhz cas16 would do nicely and work well with the Ryzen 3000 CPUs. From what I've read the i7-7700, even with more memory, will still suffer from 1% low issues in games using more than 4 cores, which are...

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I agree with bioax for games other than Minecraft these days you need more than 8gb of ram. I had the same issue with forza on my old system, only had 8gb of ram and it stuttered like crazy

Dec 17, 2019
Yeah, I think that would be good, but with a system like yours, I would get a slightly faster clock speed, at least 3200 mhz, but only if you are willing to spend a little moe.
Alright, I wasn't too sure if that would be the problem or not, because most of the framerate issues only occur in more cpu heavy games.

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
The thing is that RAM and CPU work together, so it would help ig. It could be your cpu that's causing the fps drops, idk. But what I can tell, you don't have enough ram capacity and speed.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Alright, I wasn't too sure if that would be the problem or not, because most of the framerate issues only occur in more cpu heavy games.
I think your cpu is plenty fast for today’s games I use x58 xeons with slow 1333mhz ram and I can play any game and not get frame drops because of cpu

Last edited:

CPU - i7-7700
GPU - RTX 2060
RAM - 1x8GB 2133mhz

I would move to something like the 3600x or 3700x and grab better memory...something like 16 or 32gig of 3600mhz cas16 would do nicely and work well with the Ryzen 3000 CPUs. From what I've read the i7-7700, even with more memory, will still suffer from 1% low issues in games using more than 4 cores, which are becoming more and more common. Adding ram to the i7-7700 will certainly help, but at best it will be a short term patch and only benefit some games...it all comes down to your budget and what you are willing to spend.

Reactions: dudeman509
Solution

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
If you have higher tier motherboard with better chipset, try faster ram thats supports your motherboard. Xmp mode for ram sometimes can make system unstable, so it's good to use stock cpu/motherboard clocks for ram too. Use in dual chanel mode, two sticks, thats also increase performance a bit. Search compatible ram in qvl motherboard's site, also I like crucial memory for high compatibility. I see some videos thats ram's speed becomes more important and feels a big diference in some systems/games nowadays. Check your gpu, monitor, games and other settings for better performance. Also it will be good that you will have a better cpu with unlocked multiplier(i7-7700k) and push some mhz more for better performance. Good luck.

Dec 17, 2019
I would move to something like the 3600x or 3700x and grab better memory...something like 16 or 32gig of 3600mhz cas16 would do nicely and work well with the Ryzen 3000 CPUs. From what I've read the i7-7700, even with more memory, will still suffer from 1% low issues in games using more than 4 cores, which are becoming more and more common. Adding ram to the i7-7700 will certainly help, but at best it will be a short term patch and only benefit some games...it all comes down to your budget and what you are willing to spend.
Thank you, I will probably upgrade my memory right now, and upgrade my CPU based on the performance difference from that, it is more CPU heavy games causing performance issues, such as AC origins which is dropping to around 40-50 fps at very high, when I could watch a benchmark of a similar system (with faster RAM) hitting around 70-80. The 3700x seems like the way to go from here.

Dec 17, 2019
If you have higher tier motherboard with better chipset, try faster ram thats supports your motherboard. Xmp mode for ram sometimes can make system unstable, so it's good to use stock cpu/motherboard clocks for ram too. Use in dual chanel mode, two sticks, thats also increase performance a bit. Search compatible ram in qvl motherboard's site, also I like crucial memory for high compatibility. I see some videos thats ram's speed becomes more important and feels a big diference in some systems/games nowadays. Check your gpu, monitor, games and other settings for better performance. Also it will be good that you will have a better cpu with unlocked multiplier(i7-7700k) and push some mhz more for better performance. Good luck.
I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 2x8 at 3200mhz, the most my board can handle, and I'll see from there, cheers.

First of all, you already have an 8 thread processor in the i7-7700.
If you want to assess the value of going to 12 or 16 with a new cpu/mobo try this backhanded test:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
The best application for many threads is multiplayer with many participants.

Updating ram to 16gb and dual channel is a good idea.
Your processing speed will improve, by just a bit.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What speed ram does it support?
Intel, as a rule does not benefit from fast ram.
Ram past 2666 will need to be overclocked and your motherboard needs to support that.

If you need faster processing, you could replace the 7700 with a 7700K.
The 7700K will have faster stock clocks and with the right chipset you can get even more via overclocking.

Do you have a ssd?
Sometimes pauses are because it takes a HDD longer to load textures or take game checkpoints.

Dec 17, 2019
First of all, you already have an 8 thread processor in the i7-7700.
If you want to assess the value of going to 12 or 16 with a new cpu/mobo try this backhanded test:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
The best application for many threads is multiplayer with many participants.

Updating ram to 16gb and dual channel is a good idea.
Your processing speed will improve, by just a bit.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What speed ram does it support?
Intel, as a rule does not benefit from fast ram.
Ram past 2666 will need to be overclocked and your motherboard needs to support that.

If you need faster processing, you could replace the 7700 with a 7700K.
The 7700K will have faster stock clocks and with the right chipset you can get even more via overclocking.

Do you have a ssd?
Sometimes pauses are because it takes a HDD longer to load textures or take game checkpoints.
I'll try that out and see how it goes, my mobo supports up to 3200, and is an ASUS, couldn't tell you the model right now. Can i use the same board for the 7700k? And I don't have an SSD, but that may also be another good upgrade, cheers.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Cheapest upgrade is just buying another 8gb of the same ram you already have and running dual channel, issue with that is you might not get the exact same ram even if it says it's the same. Faster ram is better but the performance increase isn't as noticable with Intel especially in games.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

CPU - i7-7700
GPU - RTX 2060
RAM - 1x8GB 2133mhz
I rarely replace CPU/MOBO/RAM separately. It sucks to buy one thing and then another gets outdated and forces even more parts to be replaced. It's much less painful to the wallet in the long run to replace all 3 together.

HOWEVER.. if you want to do a temporary fix, going for some really cheap high frequency ram would probably be the way.