[SOLVED] Is Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU Safe with R5 3600X + 2080 Super (Hybrid)

QUICKSILV3R15

Honorable
May 30, 2016
I just purchased a new GPU and am trying to avoid spending more money on a psu. I am running an R5 3500X @ stock and a GTX 1070Ti FTW 3 wtih the power limited fully maxed, +200 on the core and +200 on the memory. Will mthe Antec High Current Gamer 520w PSU be enough to run the R5 3600X and 2080 Super with no overclocks? I see in this benchmark video that his system is drawing no more than 430W under load. PCPartPicker says it's satisfactory, but NVIDIA's website says otherwise.

Last edited:
Solution
I just purchased a new GPU and am trying to avoid spending more money on a psu. I am running an R5 3500X @ stock and a GTX 1070Ti FTW 3 wtih the power limited fully maxed, +200 on the core and +200 on the memory. Will mthe Antec High Current Gamer 520w PSU be enough to run the R5 3600X and 2080 Super with no overclocks? I see in this benchmark video that his system is drawing no more than 430W under load. PCPartPicker says it's satisfactory, but NVIDIA's website says otherwise.
It was a good PSU in its day, but the design is 10 years old and yours must be 4-5 years or older and out of warranty. When it was new it could deliver 480 watts on the +12 volt rail. If I was spending $700-800 on a new GPU I'd want a new PSU with...
I just purchased a new GPU and am trying to avoid spending more money on a psu. I am running an R5 3500X @ stock and a GTX 1070Ti FTW 3 wtih the power limited fully maxed, +200 on the core and +200 on the memory. Will mthe Antec High Current Gamer 520w PSU be enough to run the R5 3600X and 2080 Super with no overclocks? I see in this benchmark video that his system is drawing no more than 430W under load. PCPartPicker says it's satisfactory, but Newegg's PSU calc and Nvidia's website say otherwise.
PSU estimations based off of a graphics card are usually false as they count in any DVD drives, HDDs, multiple case fans and possible water cooling pumps you may have in your build. For example, my GTX 1650 Super was recommending a 470 watt PSU yet my entire system is using less than 400 watts even under load because I have no drives. No overclocks is a huge power saver and if he doesnt have many fans or drives, the PSU should be enough. If not, its not the end of the world, the PC will most likely begin to crash which is your indicator, you need to upgrade.

It was a good PSU in its day, but the design is 10 years old and yours must be 4-5 years or older and out of warranty. When it was new it could deliver 480 watts on the +12 volt rail. If I was spending $700-800 on a new GPU I'd want a new PSU with the newest technology and protections offered that can deliver close to its full rated output on the +12 volt rail. The Corsair RMx series or Seasonic Focus GX series come to mind, if you can find one in-stock.

Reactions: QUICKSILV3R15
Solution