[SOLVED] Is any cheap sata power extension cable good for use on a sata ssd?Or can it be unsafe?

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
Im probably going to buy a 1 dollar sata to sata extension cable and i was wondering if its safe to use on a ssd or can it melt?I doubt it,but just to be sure.
What about a molex to sata?Would that work for an ssd safely?

Solution
In general the SATA power connector is more dangerous in regards to fire than any other common PC connector, because the power and ground wires are closer--only 1mm apart so there's less than 1mm of plastic separating them.

That said, even the cheap drive ends tend to be fine--provided they are the molded type and not the kind that appears you can release the wires with a little pick tool (like a fan plug). Those have less plastic in between and more wiggle--a bad combination
In general the SATA power connector is more dangerous in regards to fire than any other common PC connector, because the power and ground wires are closer--only 1mm apart so there's less than 1mm of plastic separating them.

That said, even the cheap drive ends tend to be fine--provided they are the molded type and not the kind that appears you can release the wires with a little pick tool (like a fan plug). Those have less plastic in between and more wiggle--a bad combination

Solution
Im probably going to buy a 1 dollar sata to sata extension cable and i was wondering if its safe to use on a ssd or can it melt?I doubt it,but just to be sure.
What about a molex to sata?Would that work for an ssd safely?

Considering the cost difference between the better ones and the cheap ones is only a few dollars, why bother risking your drive or system? Is saving $2 worth the cost of losing a drive or a short that kills the motherboard or starts a fire?