Question Is any configuration required for the MSI B450 Tomahawk PCIe x1 slots?

Jun 16, 2019
Recently got my build together, MB is an MSI Tomahawk B450.

Everything works great except this. I got this wireless adapter which isn't being picked up.

I've tried futzing with the MB PCI settings to no avail. Neither lspci nor sudo lspci -M pick up this card. It's like nothing is being detected.

Is there some setting I'm missing to turn on this slot? Alternatively are all the slots powered by default? Is it possible I've missed a power cable somewhere (I assume all the PCI slots are powered with the MB's master power cable but I'm not 100% sure). Some switch I need to toggle? I'm pulling my hair out here trying to figure out what's wrong.
Here's how I have it setup I have the GPU in the top PCIe x16 slot which makes all other slots except the bottom x1 inaccessible. Do I need to move the GPU down, perhaps (doing this would downgrade my performance moving it to the v2 slot, if I"m not mistaken)?

I guess it's possible the card is DOA but they QA them so it seems like the chances of that are incredibly small.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Are you running Linux ???
If not that might be an issue because that cards seems to be made specifically for Linux distros.
So it may not be plug and ply on a Windows system.

If you are running Linux I would start by asking about this on some forums that are specific to whatever distro you are running.

Jun 16, 2019
Yeah I'm running Ubuntu. I'll look there as well, but I think this might be a hardware issue more than anything because even if it won't work, I believe it should be able to detect that there is something on the bus.

TRENDING THREADS