Question Is any remote desktop safe to use, which ones? (no VPN)

Sep 20, 2021
I am considering setting up my PC to allow me to log in to do some maintenance tasks when I am away from home for up to a week. Basically, my PC runs some batch-type jobs when I am away, and to do some of them successfully, I need to log in to do a few quick maintenance tasks (think along the lines of hitting a continue button, maybe rebooting the PC). On the go, I have a laptop and my cell phone and either can be used to make the connection.
I was actually in the process of setting Microsoft Windows 10 remote desktop that came with my Windows OS when I was warned that opening up a port to remote logins could compromise my home network, and that I should consider subscribing to a VPN service. Well I don't have one and I honestly don't really want to bother with setting one up even if I did have one because it would be used only infrequently. So I disabled remote desktop and left it at that.
But then I heard that Google's Chrome Remote Desktop is considered "safe" although I do not know any specifics of why or whether it is actually safer than the one in Windows. Does it have a built in VPN or something? Or some sort of encryption - in which case that would only make the data transfer safe, but the problem would still remain that I have opened up a port to my home network correct?
Are there any good safe (and free) solutions besides theses two?

Dec 13, 2021
Remote Desktop encryption protects transmitted data from unauthorized use. The most valuable characteristic of RDP Enhanced Security is that it allows Network Level Authentication (NLA) to secure Remote Desktop access. Here’s how to secure Remote Desktop by taking two simple steps:
  • Enable NLA;
  • Keep your RDP servers behind firewalls so they are not exposed to the Internet. This will make them impossible to find with Shodan, a favorite tool of hackers searching for potential targets. The attack surface is reduced by these steps. Attacks can only be perpetrated by individuals who have been authenticated and are already on your network. More information how to secure your RDP servers: https://www.helpwire.app/blog/how-secure-is-remote-desktop/

Reactions: Mandark
For RDP to reach your desktop, you should set port-forwarding in your router, and some way to know your IP address. Depending on your router' capabilities, this might be easy, or not.

But a lot of current-day routers already have VPN server baked in, and I'd still consider this first, RDP (with port forwarding) second, TeamViewer/AnyDesk third.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS