Question Is anyone concerned about EV lifespan?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sounds like EV car batteries last 8-10 years. At which point, the battery replacement cost is so high it seems very few people will pay >> the residual cost of the vehicle to replace it.

Are we destined for the majority of EVs ending up in junk yards after 10 years of use?

There's obviously diminishing returns to keeping a gas car in good working order as well, but I wouldn't say it's uncommon for gas cars to go 20 years unless the mileage/yr is super high (rust takes it toll no matter the power plant).

Seems like we're chasing this marginally more "eco-friendly" car tech that's got a pretty severe economic impact on the tail-end.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
if true then that’s good. It sounds like they may be getting better. I wonder about things like range in very cold weather for example. Just concerned that the technology isn’t there yet, plus not enough charge stations. Also seems to me they will end up adding a surcharge on electricity to offset loss of gas taxes. Just seems like something they should work on getting infrastructure etc in place and coming back in 5-10 years time.

They already charge you for the license plate on EVs. I want to say my annual plate fee is $300 or the like in Indiana.

Have to start somewhere, and there isn't likely to be much incentive to build charging stations without a ready supply of customers. I suspect in the long run they will apply a tax to the charging stations, but for now they want to encourage their construction, so there likely won't be any regulation for a while.

At the pay charging stations it is roughly the equivalent to gallons of gasoline.

My most recent excursion where I had to top off before heading home.
$1.86 for 5.071kWh
At 250W/mi that is about 20 miles, double that to forty and assume a 38mpg car and you get $3.72 a gallon. Obviously it would be much better compared to an SUV or truck.