[SOLVED] Is anyone familiar with this behavior?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software related, so I thought to post here...

A)Playing a game, browser is running in the background:
-Character/avatar will stop moving, but you can still see them 'breathing', and audio is looping, the rest of the game is unresponsive though.
-I can alt-tab or Windows key out to the browser, but clicking on anything will 'load forever'.
-If I mouse over my icons in the taskbar, they get stuck like that and the clock will freeze.
-Ctrl+Alt+Delete, no response.
-Backspace+F4, no response.
-I am forced to power off/restart.

B)Running Asus Realbench 8hr stress test overnight. If I wake up before the test is finished:
-Everything 'appears' to be running, but the first oddity I notice is that my fans aren't running as high.
-Realbench is reporting that the cpu is idling, kinda bouncing between 0-7%. The main window's timer is still running, but that smaller window that pops up along with it has frozen - a few hours in, according to it's timer.
The Luxmark render window has frozen as well.

-Hwinfo's still 'running' too: the cpu and gpu are idling, the clock's still running, all the other numbers and stuff are still running... I can even close the app without the system 'freezing' - granted, it's already frozen past this point.
-When the test does finish, it freezes.
-Ultimately, it's frozen and I'm forced to power off/restart.

C)Browse the web, watch Youtube videos all day long:
-Not a problem at all.

Because the system doesn't blue or black screen crash during these soft freezes, I can't seem to get any recent dump files for this. Running the Whocrashed Home Edition pulls up dumps for 2 errors I troubleshooted like 2 weeks ago.
Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor pull up a bunch of the following, but I can't make heads or tails out of them:
-65, AppModel-Runtime
-10005, DistributedCOM
I figure they're from the forced shut offs I've had to do, because the system doesn't crash on its own...

What I've tried so far with no success:
-Update the bios and reset CMOS, running the cpu at stock; no overclock.
-Updated Windows to 20H2.
-CMD Prompt the DISM and sfc scan.
-There's no manual gpu overclock, as I haven't needed to do that since I hybrid cooled it. I do raise the power and temp limit sliders.
-Disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox browser.
-Reconnected all the psu cable connections.
-Reinserted the gpu, and also remounted the Fractal Celsius cooler.
-DDU between drivers 457.30 and 460.89.

I reinstalled Windows back in October-November.

In progress: Gpu power limit set to 50%.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So is it stable with Base Clocks or is the same issue occurring even with Base Clocks. Sometimes OC can be issue.
I stopped overclocking this card entirely after mounting the Kraken G12 + Fractal Celsius S36 back in June, if I recall correctly.
It was stable at 50 and 60% power limits before it seemingly 'fixed itself'.

This freezing happened before back in September(I think?), but I shrugged it off as an unstable cpu overclock. Soon after, I clean installed Windows.
Then I went direct die with the cpu at the end of November.

One member had similar issue with i7-7700K and GTX1080 setup his issue was with CPU though. Reinstalling it solved it. But yeah we did try re-seating GPU RAM SSD HDD and Reinstall Windows Twice before Re-Installing CPU.
I'll try it. Now, if only the Alphacool Eisbaer's cpu block wasn't a pain to install...

I stopped overclocking this card entirely after mounting the Kraken G12 + Fractal Celsius S36 back in June, if I recall correctly.
It was stable at 50 and 60% power limits before it seemingly 'fixed itself'.

This freezing happened before back in September(I think?), but I shrugged it off as an unstable cpu overclock. Soon after, I clean installed Windows.
Then I went direct die with the cpu at the end of November.

I'll try it. Now, if only the Alphacool Eisbaer's cpu block wasn't a pain to install...
Yeah that is a pain to reinstall. But you can try Re-seating RAM and GPU first and test to see if that solves the issue. Then after that move onto CPU if issue is not resolved.

This seriously sounds like the GPU.
Once you add the GPU OC or power adjustment things go funky. When you go down to stock things go back to stable.

I experienced something similar with a previous GPU years ago. Initial OC was stable for between 1-2 years then I started having random stability issues. Since I had all components OCd (this was back in the day when a 10+MHz FSB OC was normal). I racked by brain testing this that and the other thing. I finally just bought a new GPU and all stability issues disappeared.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now it appears to be back to freezing at stock gpu settings after going back in the box again, UGH. Now I kinda wish I hadn't done that, because it was working even with the power limit at stock and maxed out...
-Got around to re-seating the cpu cooler first, and then started up a game: soft freeze.
-Went back in the box and re-plugged and reseated the gpu in case I pushed something loose while remounting the cooler, and then did a single run of Heaven Benchmark: Nothing happened.
-Maxed out the power limit slider and ran Heaven for about an hour: Nothing happened.
-Figured I'd finish out the night by running Realbench: woke up to see that it had soft frozen at the 1hr 51min mark in the small pop-up window, even though it was 'still running'.

It still looks to me like it could be the psu or gpu, but without any spare parts to try out at the moment, there's nothing else I could do.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's been running ok for the last couple days and I have no idea what I did.
After my previous post, I fiddled with the gpu and cables a couple more times and I got it to stop... for now. I'm back to being able to run max power slider again.

I don't wanna go back in there anymore...
New psu expected by Monday.

It's been running ok for the last couple days and I have no idea what I did.
After my previous post, I fiddled with the gpu and cables a couple more times and I got it to stop... for now. I'm back to being able to run max power slider again.

I don't wanna go back in there anymore...
New psu expected by Monday.
Cool.

But if PSU is not the issue. Then I have to say that you got Unlucky with the GPU.

Anyhow it is running fine for now. Lets leave it there. Lets see how long it manages to run stable. If you get Lucky it will last till you plan your Next Update. Probably 2022-23.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Keeping Fingers X for Ya!!!!!!!! Phaaze
Thanks.

@Crosslhs82x2
I wanted to get your thoughts on this:
It's been running fine the last few days - couldn't make anything happen when stress testing either. But I reseated the gpu and psu cables a number of times before it finally calmed down.
I'll most likely have to wrestle with it again whenever I get around to cleaning it.
I figure I did damage something.

Last edited:
Hoping for the best with psu and cables and it's not the gpu!!!! With everything hitting all at the same time in regards to GPU's at this time,
Tariff's / Cryptocurrency / High Demand / Low to Little stock and Higher Prices on a equal or better Gpu this is certainly not a good time to Have to replace it.

In Micro Center Denver the 3000's was like 1 brand and came in and out like in a few days.
2000's haven't been seen in a several months
(I'm sure glad I purchased a 2070 super for my son's xmas in August) Also paired with a Viewsonic 27" 1440p 165mhz monitor.
And Yes he is in WOW !!!!!!! Mode on The difference.
1600's haven't been in stock there for about a month.
Currently waiting inline for a Evga 3060 Ti Ftw3 Ultra for myself and from the database or spreadsheet a couple of guys came up with based on the time stamp of the Notify button I sit at 1376th inline.
12/03/2020 08:00:41.
From the Evga forum I could not get anymore details of how many cards are put out.
Sometime 1-3 cards per drop unknown drops per week.
So Maybe Late this Year for my turn.

Really Hoping it Works !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the real question is how long do you wait to decide whether it's 'fixed' or not?

Where are you located (northern or southern hemisphere)?
Ambient temp could also play a role. There's always an uptick in the "It was fine and now it's having issues," posts once the first heatwave of the summer moves in and ambient temps inside households tick up by 3-5 degrees or so.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How is it with New PSU. Is the PC running Stable.
Yes. So far, so good - even ran the system through a combination of Cinebench R23 and Heaven Benchmark for several hours.
The way Corsair packaged these cables is a little peculiar though.

@Crosslhs82x2
-After having tried the 2 types of gpu coolers, I would prefer to stick with hybrid cooled gpus from now on.
-I'm more interested in the RX 6800XT than RTX 3080... but the current prices are enough to make me look the other way.
-Red Team currently has that Strix LC model, but it's ugly, and - a blower fan? Why couldn't they have taken a page from EVGA's book?

@alceryes
1)Well, this did happen before a few months ago... and there's the time I spent last week replugging and reseating trying to get it to work... maybe a month?

2)US, Louisiana.

3)With it being the winter season around here, it's been sitting ~20C in my room, according to this thermometer in my room.
At the very least, the gpu core doesn't see over 40C across various loads.

Blower fans are cheap for the mfg. and do a decent job at the expense of noise.
The original blower on my Sapphire Vega 64 got so freakin' loud in AAA titles that I couldn't stand it. I threw in an aftermarket cooler, some heatsinks, and a couple fans for a substantially higher OC, less voltage, and, most importantly, static fan speeds and silent operation at full load.
2)US, Louisiana.
3)With it being the winter season around here, it's been sitting ~20C in my room, according to this thermometer in my room.
At the very least, the gpu core doesn't see over 40C across various loads.
Okay. So not an ambient temp issue. I guess you're in a holding pattern for now. I wouldn't throw away your old PSU just yet though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Blower fans are cheap for the mfg. and do a decent job at the expense of noise.
The original blower on my Sapphire Vega 64 got so freakin' loud in AAA titles that I couldn't stand it. I threw in an aftermarket cooler, some heatsinks, and a couple fans for a substantially higher OC, less voltage, and, most importantly, static fan speeds and silent operation at full load.
XD
So what does that say about the fan on the EVGA Hybrid? That's not a blower fan...

I wouldn't throw away your old PSU just yet though.
I don't plan to. It's on the shelf for now.
I need more spare parts besides cpu coolers, fans, and ram, so this is a start.

Boot drive is a little slow for the 970 Pro. Did you temporarily disable write caching?
The best time to run Userbenchmark is 3 mins after you've rebooted and logged in to desktop. 3 mins gives all those 'delayed start' services time to start up.

Other than that, nothing crazy pops out from your Userbenchmark. From what I can find, the slower single-core memory speed is indicative of those CPUs.