[SOLVED] Is anyone familiar with this behavior?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software related, so I thought to post here...

A)Playing a game, browser is running in the background:
-Character/avatar will stop moving, but you can still see them 'breathing', and audio is looping, the rest of the game is unresponsive though.
-I can alt-tab or Windows key out to the browser, but clicking on anything will 'load forever'.
-If I mouse over my icons in the taskbar, they get stuck like that and the clock will freeze.
-Ctrl+Alt+Delete, no response.
-Backspace+F4, no response.
-I am forced to power off/restart.

B)Running Asus Realbench 8hr stress test overnight. If I wake up before the test is finished:
-Everything 'appears' to be running, but the first oddity I notice is that my fans aren't running as high.
-Realbench is reporting that the cpu is idling, kinda bouncing between 0-7%. The main window's timer is still running, but that smaller window that pops up along with it has frozen - a few hours in, according to it's timer.
The Luxmark render window has frozen as well.

-Hwinfo's still 'running' too: the cpu and gpu are idling, the clock's still running, all the other numbers and stuff are still running... I can even close the app without the system 'freezing' - granted, it's already frozen past this point.
-When the test does finish, it freezes.
-Ultimately, it's frozen and I'm forced to power off/restart.

C)Browse the web, watch Youtube videos all day long:
-Not a problem at all.

Because the system doesn't blue or black screen crash during these soft freezes, I can't seem to get any recent dump files for this. Running the Whocrashed Home Edition pulls up dumps for 2 errors I troubleshooted like 2 weeks ago.
Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor pull up a bunch of the following, but I can't make heads or tails out of them:
-65, AppModel-Runtime
-10005, DistributedCOM
I figure they're from the forced shut offs I've had to do, because the system doesn't crash on its own...

What I've tried so far with no success:
-Update the bios and reset CMOS, running the cpu at stock; no overclock.
-Updated Windows to 20H2.
-CMD Prompt the DISM and sfc scan.
-There's no manual gpu overclock, as I haven't needed to do that since I hybrid cooled it. I do raise the power and temp limit sliders.
-Disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox browser.
-Reconnected all the psu cable connections.
-Reinserted the gpu, and also remounted the Fractal Celsius cooler.
-DDU between drivers 457.30 and 460.89.

I reinstalled Windows back in October-November.

In progress: Gpu power limit set to 50%.

Yes. So far, so good - even ran the system through a combination of Cinebench R23 and Heaven Benchmark for several hours.
The way Corsair packaged these cables is a little peculiar though.

@Crosslhs82x2
-After having tried the 2 types of gpu coolers, I would prefer to stick with hybrid cooled gpus from now on.
-I'm more interested in the RX 6800XT than RTX 3080... but the current prices are enough to make me look the other way.
-Red Team currently has that Strix LC model, but it's ugly, and - a blower fan? Why couldn't they have taken a page from EVGA's book?

@alceryes
1)Well, this did happen before a few months ago... and there's the time I spent last week replugging and reseating trying to get it to work... maybe a month?

2)US, Louisiana.

3)With it being the winter season around here, it's been sitting ~20C in my room, according to this thermometer in my room.
At the very least, the gpu core doesn't see over 40C across various loads.
Don't know what PSU you ordered. But if you are referring to RMx or RMi or HX or AXi series then yes they do that to Include In-Wire Capacitors to provide Clean, Stable and Consistent Pass-through of Electricity.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know what PSU you ordered. But if you are referring to RMx or RMi or HX or AXi series then yes they do that to Include In-Wire Capacitors to provide Clean, Stable and Consistent Pass-through of Electricity.
AX850 Titanium.
What I noticed is that:
-All 3 PCIe cables have two, 6+2 connectors. Like, maybe include one or 2 single 6+2 for a little cleaner cable management?
-The SATA cables(4) are all 4 connections per cable.
-Same deal with the peripheral cables(2), but there's 3 connectors.
My point was that the old Seasonic one gave me options for cleaner cable management. Oh well.

AX850 Titanium.
What I noticed is that:
-All 3 PCIe cables have two, 6+2 connectors. Like, maybe include one or 2 single 6+2 for a little cleaner cable management?
-The SATA cables(4) are all 4 connections per cable.
-Same deal with the peripheral cables(2), but there's 3 connectors.
My point was that the old Seasonic one gave me options for cleaner cable management. Oh well.
Yeah. SATA cables I really don't care for as they are in 80-90% cases Hidden. Yes managing them is bit hard. But is fine. What I really expect is to get 1 extra single ended 6+2 PCIe cable.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Still waiting here for the Evga 3060 ti ftw3 Ultra.
The database shows I have moved up some.
Maybe some got there card or got tired of waiting.
I went from 1321 to 1351 to 1371 but back down to 1361 coming down slowly is better then standing still.

Hopefully it lasts till things get back to near normal and Hopefully this isn't the New Normal for GPU's.
Take Care Guy's!!!!!!!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Still waiting here for the Evga 3060 ti ftw3 Ultra.
The database shows I have moved up some.
Maybe some got there card or got tired of waiting.
I went from 1321 to 1351 to 1371 but back down to 1361 coming down slowly is better then standing still.

Hopefully it lasts till things get back to near normal and Hopefully this isn't the New Normal for GPU's.
Take Care Guy's!!!!!!!!
I'm in the queue for a 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, but then I was reminded of Alphacool's Eiswolf kits - the 3080 compatible models launch next month - but I need to acquire a FE card...

Ugh. I guess I'll roll with which ever I can get first for the next 4 years.

Yes. But if it is already running fine with OC on. I guess no need of dropping it. But well it does decrease the risk by a bit if you drop the OC.
True, though it has been more worthwhile doing it on the old Skylake-X than the 1080Ti.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I took the PC apart and gave it a good clean:
-washed out the rads and mesh panels with soapy water, rinsed, and dried
-wiped down everything else by hand

Put it back together, fired up a game... running smooth.
I'll try Cinebench + Heaven later tonight.

If nothing else happens, I'll chalk it up to: Overclocking bad. Even good psus with long warranties don't last very long.
I didn't mess around with gpu OC much at all. I didn't see much value in it because of Gpu Boost. The cpu, on the other hand...

Nice! Definitely could've been just a little too much on the OC. The OC peak is very slippery and, over time, usually starts sliding backwards.

I've got a bit of an OC going on my new Titan Xp. The stock cooler is pretty good and I don't feel like dropping more $$$ on a new cooler so I'll probably just keep it as is. I took advantage of a pricing mistake on Amazon 'Renewed' - got a like-new Titan Xp for $600 shipped. ;)
With the 90-day no-questions-asked return policy for 'Renewed,' it was a no-risk all-reward buy.

They f'd up - plain and simple. Three days after my order (the day I received the card), the same listing more than doubled in price.
Oh, did I mention that I sold my Vega 64 for $550? :D:D:D

It was a REALLY cheap upgrade, if I do say so myself. ~30-60% performance increase AND 50% more VRAM for not a lot of $$$.

Reactions: Phaaze88
I seriously expected the order to be canceled. Even when it shipped I expected to receive something other than an actual Titan Xp.
Once I received it and verified that it was, indeed, a Titan Xp, in perfect condition, there was definitely some LOLing.

Of course, I only pulled the trigger once I realized how much I could potentially get for my Vega 64. So, I can actually say that the 'overwhelming demand and almost no supply' that we're currently experiencing is the only reason I was able to get this major performance boost for only ~$150.