Question Is Asus Prime Z370-P II good for oc?

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I have heard some people say it's pretty bad since it doesn't have vrm heatskinks.
But can I buy some? Or don't I have to?
I have a good cooler (Maelstrom 240) and plan to oc an i5 9600k to around 5ghz (with increased voltage). I also want to oc my gpu clocks and voltage. Is this mb ok? Is it gonna 'bottleneck' the cooler in terms of oc capability?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"Good"? No. "Adequate"? Yes, for reasonable overclocks anyway.

It's a budget-orientated Z370 board, and built as such. For the money, there are better options.

As an FYI
  1. There is a heatsink, covering the MOSFETs only.
  2. Motherboard isn't going to impact GPU overclocking.
  3. The Z370-P will not support a 9th Gen CPU unless it's had a BIOS update performed.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
"Good"? No. "Adequate"? Yes, for reasonable overclocks anyway.

It's a budget-orientated Z370 board, and built as such. For the money, there are better options.

As an FYI
  1. There is a heatsink, covering the MOSFETs only.
  2. Motherboard isn't going to impact GPU overclocking.
  3. The Z370-P will not support a 9th Gen CPU unless it's had a BIOS update performed.
And how can I update the bios?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With a compatible 8th Gen CPU, you can't.

Are you buying it new, retail? Or used?

If new, opt for a Z390 board instead - out of the box compatibility and, honestly, you're not losing out on anything even opting for the cheapest Z390 boards*.

Typically the cheapest Z390 boards are things like the Gigabyte Z390 UD, or ASRock Z390 Pro4 or MSI Z390-A, depending on your specific location.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I'm buying it new. Also in my country cheapest z390 is like 60$ more expensive than the z370.
However, on a local store website, someone commented saying that he's running an i9 9600k on it specifying that he didn't update the bios. Is it possible that the sellers have updated the bios?
Or maybe actually the 'II' versions' bios just works with 9th gen cpus, and the update is only needed on the non-II z370-p's?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depending on the production run date, or whether or not the retailer has updated, it's possible it has been updated, but far from guaranteed.

The Z370-P II originally shipped with BIOS v. 0303, an i5-9600K was not supported until BIOS v. 0309. Unless you can confirm the BIOS revision on the board before you buy it, or the retailer has a healthy return policy, it's risky.

Reactions: Corgoi
Depending on the production run date, or whether or not the retailer has updated, it's possible it has been updated, but far from guaranteed.

The Z370-P II originally shipped with BIOS v. 0303, an i5-9600K was not supported until BIOS v. 0309. Unless you can confirm the BIOS revision on the board before you buy it, or the retailer has a healthy return policy, it's risky.

Here is the OTHER thread.