[SOLVED] Is Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Ryzen 3000 ready?

A buddy of mine just ordered a Ryzen 7 3800X / Asrock ROG Strix X470-F Gaming / RTX 2080 (non Ti/non Super).

I found out about this impulse buy after the fact. My question is: Does this motherboard support Ryzen 3000 series (Zen 2) right out of the box? I know that some MB partners are updating the BIOS' of their existing B450 and X470 MB's from the factory. If not, does this board offer a BIOS flashback feature or must a Zen(+) CPU be installed to update it?

Addendum: I also think that he would have been wiser to purchase either a cheaper MSI B450 Tomahawk Max or a equivalent cost, but better for future overclocking potential, Asus TUF GAMING X570-Plus. I'm not sure if he plans to ever overclock but I just watched Buildzoid's new video, which he summarized by stating that if you intend to overclock the 12 or 16 core AM4 CPUs then the TUF Gaming X570-Plus would be his minimum board that he would choose to do so.

Last edited:
Solution
It depends when it was manufactured by Asus.
I just recently bought an Asus ROG Strix X470F and it came with BIOS version 5007 which supports the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.
I will say that my box did Not have the Ryzen 3000 series sticker on it even though it was Ryzen 3000 ready.
So as long as it hasn't been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months or so it should work with his 3800x.
No, it doesn't have BIOS Flashback support. It could have the bios update already if it was manufactured after the BIOS update, which very well could be. They've been out for a while now. So, maybe. Maybe not. If not then it will need a Zen or Zen+ (Ryzen 1000 or 2000) CPU to install the update.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
It depends when it was manufactured by Asus.
I just recently bought an Asus ROG Strix X470F and it came with BIOS version 5007 which supports the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.
I will say that my box did Not have the Ryzen 3000 series sticker on it even though it was Ryzen 3000 ready.
So as long as it hasn't been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months or so it should work with his 3800x.

Last edited:
Solution
Updated specs: Ryzen 7 3800X / 32GB 3600 MHz RAM / Samsung 970 Evo 1TB / RTX 2080 Super / Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi

My friend ended up dropping by Micro Center and purchasing all new parts, again, except for the CPU. He's going to return the first set of components. He built the computer (specs above) and has successfully installed Windows 10 Pro and is in the midst of installing all of his applications.

Last edited: