[SOLVED] Is B350 Tomahawk enough for ryzen 5 3600?

by55

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
Im thinking about upgrading my CPU to ryzen 5 3600. My current motherboard is B350 tomahawk. How much would new motherboard effect compared to the old. Also how hard it is to update the Bios so it works with new CPU?
And if u suggest to upgrade the motherboard, what would be good choice?

Solution
Im thinking about upgrading my CPU to ryzen 5 3600. My current motherboard is B350 tomahawk. How much would new motherboard effect compared to the old. Also how hard it is to update the Bios so it works with new CPU?
No need to switch MBs, just update BIOS while you still have old CPU, you'll find exact procedure in MB manual, it's not hard.
Only exception would be support for very fast RAM and in that case same MB but with "Max" moniker would be ideal.
No need to switch MBs, just update BIOS while you still have old CPU, you'll find exact procedure in MB manual, it's not hard.
Only exception would be support for very fast RAM and in that case same MB but with "Max" moniker would be ideal.

Solution
One thing to add...don't update the BIOS to the rev needed for the 3600 until you have it in hand and ready to put in as it may not work with your current CPU after, or won't work well if it does. Also, don't be surprised as MSI changed the appearance of the BIOS drastically. They had to slim it down to fit in available space so the cute "red dragon" graphical interface is gone now. It works the same, just less showy.

Otherwise, B350 Tomahawk is a perfect match for 3600 processors.

And finally, before updating the BIOS do a CMOS reset and immediately after updating the BIOS also do a CMOS reset. It just helps and I'd do that for any BIOS update.

Last edited:
Reactions: by55 and CountMike

by55

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
One thing to add...don't update the BIOS to the rev needed for the 3600 until you have it in hand and ready to put in as it may not work with your current CPU after, or won't work well if it does. Also, don't be surprised as MSI changed the appearance of the BIOS drastically. They had to slim it down to fit in available space so the cute "red dragon" graphical interface is gone now. It works the same, just less showy.

And finally, before updating the BIOS do a CMOS reset and immediately after updating the BIOS also do a CMOS reset. It just helps and I'd do that for any BIOS update.
Thanks mate, really appreciate yoyr help

by55

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017

Thanks mate