Is bad RAM the cause of 100% disk activity?

Jul 26, 2018
I've been having this problem for a while on my 5 year old homebuilt PC with Windows 10 installed where it acts very weird and slow and I can't figure out the issue. I can tell though that Task Manager shows my hard drive at 100% disk activity at all times. At first I thought it was a windows issue and I reinstalled the OS from scratch and that didn't fix the issue. Then I thought maybe my 1 TB internal hard drive was bad but I have two internal drives so I installed the OS on the other one and this didn't fix the issue either.

After running several diagnostics, I used the Windows Memory Diagnostics utility which told me that I had a RAM issue. I have two 8GB sticks of RAM and I ran the test again with each individual stick of RAM in at once and put them in different RAM slots on my motherboard as well and I got the same RAM issue every single time. Which is weird because I feel like it would be unlikely that both sticks of RAM are bad simultaneously.

I've run diagnostics on my Intel i7 CPU as well and everything came back fine. Is it possible that bad RAM would cause 100% disk activity? Is it possible that this could be a motherboard issue instead of both sticks of RAM going bad at the same time? Just trying to figure out what the root of this issue could possibly be.

Thanks for any advice in advance.