Is boosting AMD Turbo Core Clock Overclocking?

Hey I have had a lot of questions lately, and heres my newest one!

I was unable to get a stable OC over 3.9mhz (the max turbo clock of my AMD A8 5600k). I tried everything but I could not get the voltage to go above 1.4375v for whatever reason. Everytime I would raise it above that, the clocks would immediately go down to 3.2mhz, no matter what I set the core clock too.

Anyways I opened AMD Overdrive and used the Turbo Core options. It had a core turbo multiplier and a voltage level. Also had a option called Boost Mode, and I switched the boost mode which unlocked the Turbo multiplier to go above 3.9mhz.

Currently I have the boost clock on 4.1mhz with 1.45v. The clock remains at 4.1mhz at all times except when stress testing. Under 100% load some of the cores will stay at 4.1mhz, while others downclock. After about 5 minutes all the cores will drop to 1.9mhz, with 35c thermal margin remaining so it cannot be thermal related.

My questions

1. Why am I able to use my CPU with a 4.1mhz Turbo clock, but without turbo on its not stable? And is using this turbo core method overclocking?

2. Why are all clocks dropping to 1.9mhz after 5 minutes of stress testing, then going back up when temperatures are fine?

* SYSTEM SPECS *

CPU- AMD A8 5600k
COOLER- Cooler Master Hyper T2
GPU- GTX 750 1gb
RAM- 8gb DDR3 1333 Team Elite
MOBO- BIOSTAR A55ML2
PSU- Logysis 480w
WIN- Winodws 10 Home
CASE- RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WR Black / Red

Not sure exactly what you're asking with question 1, or exactly how the A8 processor works. But usually when a processor is overclocked (as i assume you did to 4.1G) it's "all cores". Whereas turbo boosting to 4.1G is usually one or two cores only, hence it's better stability.

Second, if APM isn't disabled the processor, even overclocked, will endeavour to stay within it's TDP envelope and therefore throttles back to do so. Don't know how it works in your case, but look for a way to turn off APM in your motherboard BIOS.

Also, whenever you sustain a stress test on an overclocked processor it puts an extreme load on the VRM. If they go over a temp threshold the controller will send a signal to the processor to throttle back until it cools off. Your mobo looks to have a 3 phase VRM for the CPU (I assume the other two are for the GPU) so that could be the case.

issue is, it cant be temps. AMD Overdrive says my thermal magin is 35c when this happens. Meaning I have 35 more degrees until I reach the max.