[SOLVED] Is Bottleneck Calculator any good or crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I just checked PC Builds' Bottleneck Calculator to see how a Ryzen 3 2200G (w/16GB RAM) would fare with a RX 590 8GB. It reported that there would be massive CPU bottleneck. I next checked my old FX-8350 against the RX 590, and it reported the CPU/GPU would be fine. What!!?

Yet Tom's CPU hierarchy chart places the Ryzen 3 2200G in their top tier, and the FX-8350 a tier lower. Who do I believe? I hope not Bottleneck Calculator.

Solution
I just checked PC Builds' Bottleneck Calculator to see how a Ryzen 3 2200G (w/16GB RAM) would fare with a RX 590 8GB. It reported that there would be massive CPU bottleneck. I next checked my old FX-8350 against the RX 590, and it reported the CPU/GPU would be fine. What!!?

Yet Tom's CPU hierarchy chart places the Ryzen 3 2200G in their top tier, and the FX-8350 a tier lower. Who do I believe? I hope not Bottleneck Calculator.
Absolute crap. Has no connection with reality.
Should be ignored completely.

The exact same system (mine), a few months apart:
Qw2KkUx.jpg

USAFRet

Titan

Absolute crap. Has no connection with reality.
Should be ignored completely.

Qw2KkUx.jpg

Solution
"We recommend you to replace Radeon RX580 with Quadro P5000."

Of course they recommended for you to replace your $200 mid-range consumer card with a nearly $2000 high-end workstation card to avoid a supposed 18% bottleneck. I suppose we can consider it a positive that the newer result is less horribly inaccurate, at the very least. : D

I tried testing their site with some configurations just now, and also noticed a helpful suggestion on their site informing me that...

"Intel Core i9-9900K will need at least 64GB of RAM to work well."

I could see a site like that potentially being useful if done right, but their calculations just seem inaccurate, and often arbitrary.

Back on the topic of using an RX 590 with a Ryzen 2200G, it would likely be reasonably fine. I would look to overclocking the 2200G though, since it's possible to get a decent amount of additional performance out of it over what the stock clocks have to offer. It's also worth noting that the recently released GTX 1660 offers a bit more performance than an RX 590 while drawing less power and creating less heat, and their prices should be pretty close (at least at US online stores) so one of those might be worth considering. Have you bought any of this hardware yet?

Jun 18, 2020

Your low end ryzen 3 2200g is newer and more efficient in terms of TDP, but weak compared to the older flagship fx8350! Here is some insight for you.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/964/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_AMD_Ryzen_3_2200G.html

Status
Not open for further replies.