[SOLVED] Is buying used GPUs fine?

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,
With the 3070 currently out of stock, I was thinking of buying a used 2080 ti at a similar price from ebay. So I was wondering, would a used GPU be worse than an unused one? Also would buying a used GPU mean that the GPU would last a shorter amount of time for me?

Solution
yes its fine, you just have to understand you will NOT get a warranty or possibly retail packaging so if you want that stuff buy it new. it may be defective, but if it is send it back. if you purchase on ebay and it isn't was listed in the AD you are entitled to a refund. you can get a new GPU that is defective as well, so don't think that just because somebody else used it before you doesn't mean you can't take advantage of some amazing deals. of course, those deals come with some risks. i personally almost NEVER buy new as I feel the MSRP of most electronics isn't worth paying because of how fast they become obsolete. i've owned probably 20+ GPUs in last 3-4 yrs, 80% of them purchased used so just make a purchase and live with it...

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
With the 3070 currently out of stock, I was thinking of buying a used 2080 ti at a similar price from ebay. So I was wondering, would a used GPU be worse than an unused one? Also would buying a used GPU mean that the GPU would last a shorter amount of time for me?
You're not buying "from ebay". ebay is not a store.

You are buying from "some dude", selling on the ebay platform.
Said "dude", whose little brother may have dropped it, mined with it, overclocked it, etc, etc.

Or it might be an outright scam.

It might be fine. It probably is fine.
But it is not like a new one with an actual warranty.

Reactions: HappyTrails
yes its fine, you just have to understand you will NOT get a warranty or possibly retail packaging so if you want that stuff buy it new. it may be defective, but if it is send it back. if you purchase on ebay and it isn't was listed in the AD you are entitled to a refund. you can get a new GPU that is defective as well, so don't think that just because somebody else used it before you doesn't mean you can't take advantage of some amazing deals. of course, those deals come with some risks. i personally almost NEVER buy new as I feel the MSRP of most electronics isn't worth paying because of how fast they become obsolete. i've owned probably 20+ GPUs in last 3-4 yrs, 80% of them purchased used so just make a purchase and live with it. don't stress yourself out

Solution

Latest posts